do hermit crabs actually require substrate they can burry themselves in?(not sure where to put this thread)

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
so hermit crabs burry themselves to molt due to humidity based on some brief research. i was thinking of making a mudskipper/red leg hermit crab paludarium with complex root structures above water and a shallow/deep end with either sand rock or mud or a combination. but there wouldnt be a land area with coconut husk or something to dig in would this be okay? more likely than not this would be closer to marine to accommodate the crab. basically the question comes down to if they can fully submerge themselves in water do they still need an area they can burry themselves in?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If you mean Caribbean land hermit crabs, I would say they need burying space.
If it is close to marine water, why not get a couple of blue legs? Fully submersible and small, so no worries about it messing with the gobies.

Reactions: tlindsey

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
If you mean Caribbean land hermit crabs, I would say they need burying space.
If it is close to marine water, why not get a couple of blue legs? Fully submersible and small, so no worries about it messing with the gobies.
i heard the gobies often kill fiddler crabs and such by attacking their legs so i wasnt so much worried about such a shy species of crab attacking the gobies but rather the opposite. ill most likely get some blue leg hermit crabs with or without the land hermits. if a corner of the tank was lined with plastic and filled with coconut husk do you think it could work?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s possible. I haven’t kept land hermits in years, and I had done it a non natural way. I’d say as long as there is a shallow area in the water and easy to get in and out as well as ample digging room they should be good.

Reactions: djsaltynuts

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i had one as a childhood pet as well which is why i wanted to get back into them and give them a setup that actually looks cool. well if i pull it off successfully ill finish the thread with pictures of the tank.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
It’s possible. I haven’t kept land hermits in years, and I had done it a non natural way. I’d say as long as there is a shallow area in the water and easy to get in and out as well as ample digging room they should be good.
i had one as a childhood pet as well which is why i wanted to get back into them and give them a setup that actually looks cool. well if i pull it off successfully ill finish the thread with pictures of the tank.
I kept a few as a child as well and kept the poor things very badly. The many LFS / pet stores back in the day always had tons of them it seemed and had zero info on keeping them the right way. I wouldn't mind trying one today.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I kept a few as a child as well and kept the poor things very badly. The many LFS / pet stores back in the day always had tons of them it seemed and had zero info on keeping them the right way. I wouldn't mind trying one today.
yeah i had one the size of a softball one day he disappeared. not sure if he was burried or climbed out of his tank because i put it outside. its sad that terrible tank sizes are recommended for a wild caught animal. the peta caresheet i read had a picture of one in a small critterkeeper with an inch of fruity pebble puke aquarium gravel smh thanks peta.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
now when you look for the article at the top it says it was updated and now the article is titled 7 reasons you should never buy a hermit crab.

• Haha

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
this was their original way to setup a tank that is now being used as a non example. what a joke. im surprised google brought up an old version of an article that has since been edited.

96C3589F-6C18-4F96-94F9-E6FD2FFBF914.jpeg

• Wow

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
now when you look for the article at the top it says it was updated and now the article is titled 7 reasons you should never buy a hermit crab.
I agree many land hermit crabs for pet keeping had very short lives due to improper care. Also people would buy them not realizing when they grow the hermit crab needs a bigger shell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store