do hermit crabs actually require substrate they can burry themselves in?(not sure where to put this thread)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I was always good with humidity and shells, I think, but they just never survived molts. Probably was humidity.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I was always good with humidity and shells, I think, but they just never survived molts. Probably was humidity.
if i had to guess you needed deeper substrate/ needed wetter substrate because thats the molting requirement. but its all hearsay the petstores crush their shells so its surprising any of them survive with such delicate abdomens.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Well I was using hermit crab sand about an inch or two so that should explain it. My last one I did coconut fiber but the tank was way too small.
I’m sure I’ll give it a try in a couple of years. My blue leg crabs are a pain enough now.

O hope you go forward with the plan, it sounds like a really fun tank!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Same. I'm sure I didn't use the proper substrate, humidity, foods, etc. I had one or two really cool hermit crabs too. They were like hamsters and would come out and crawl all over you.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Same. I'm sure I didn't use the proper substrate, humidity, foods, etc. I had one or two really cool hermit crabs too. They were like hamsters and would come out and crawl all over you.
Yeah they were always fun! Slower than a hamster to so they can’t get far.
Marine hermits are fun but just don’t compare to the interaction of the land ones.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
the only entertaining part about the marine ones for me is watching my female clarkii clown throw them in the carpet anemone or watching my decorator crab snatch them out of the shell my lfs gives them out for free. ive also been keeping them in the internal filter because so much frozen food will get sucked up.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Mine are fun. They have calmed down recently and are fighting over limited shell space now though, pistol shrimp is stealing the shells.
They used to pick up zoa frag plugs, carry them across the tank, and flip them over like it was some sort of ritual.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store