Do Red Texas cichlid colors intensify or change with age?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Personality is great but I also want a fish that's pretty or unique and interesting to look at. Most all of the CA/SA cichlids I've kept have a lot of personality but I think a lot of people equate personality with aggression. I have a small group of feisty honduran redpoints which I think are hilarious in the way they're always posturing and bickering but they never do any real damage to each other. Then again they're 2-3 inch fish in a 200 gallon tank which helps.
Yeah my original male (the one in my profile pic) he was a mean fish but liked to be pet as well. But if you stopped petting him expect to be bit lol. His 2 daughters are drastically different in personality. The big girl is very shy towards ppl but her lil sis is very interactive and loves to dance infront of the glass come feeding time. The big girl looks allot like her father but acts totally different.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Oh yeah I know you're not slamming flowerhorns lol. Yeah I agree with the kok size thing. Short bodies do have a lot of problems and they shouldn't have massive Nuchal Humps either. The problem is most people don't breed short bodies for health. The reason fancy goldfish can live long with short bodies is because they have very tall bodies and large stomachs so they have more room for organs. Most short body FHs don't have that. And the fact some have massive humps makes it harder for them to swim.
(Jr.) my original male he had a big kok, almost too big. It gave him a hard time when it came to surface feeding, it would push the pellets away from him before he got his mouth close enough to eat it. Usually he had to wait till they piled up in the corner to eat em. Granted he had no problem with eating worms at all, he loved those same with frogs and snakes and pinkie mice.

Reactions: Cichlids keeper

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I actually would prefer if they didn't breed. I just want them to co-exist. I'm not slamming flowerhorns in a flowerhorn forum and I think a nice kok is pretty cool as long as it's not 1/3 the size of the fish. All good things in moderation! But now I see they have these short body FHs with big koks and that can't possibly be healthy in the long term.
Doesn't look like you are slamming, you are just expressing your opinion. It's not a flowerhorn forum or even flowerhorn only subsection. It's for all hybrids. I have set limit on preference for hump size as well. It's this red devil.

Screenshot_20200314-095546_YouTube.jpg

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Personally speaking I'd say the most desirably trait in a FH is the personality, looks always come second but personality is always first. If it doesn't have a good personality it's just another overly glorified colorful fish.
I think both should be there. It should not be very hard with more breeding and culling. Kamfas turn out pretty good in looks and color. But most RDs are aggressive.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
(Jr.) my original male he had a big kok, almost too big. It gave him a hard time when it came to surface feeding, it would push the pellets away from him before he got his mouth close enough to eat it. Usually he had to wait till they piled up in the corner to eat em. Granted he had no problem with eating worms at all, he loved those same with frogs and snakes and pinkie mice.
Sinking pellets could have worked better.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Doesn't look like you are slamming, you are just expressing your opinion. It's not a flowerhorn forum or even flowerhorn only subsection. It's for all hybrids. I have set limit on preference for hump size as well. It's this red devil.

View attachment 1411694
Good looking fish. I've never kept Midas or Red Devils but I'm surprised they don't dig up and trash your plants.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Sinking pellets could have worked better.
Yeah I tried sinking pellets a few times but he never showed any interest in them. I suppose he got so used to eating the floating ones for so long that he didn't want the other pellets.

I think both should be there. It should not be very hard with more breeding and culling. Kamfas turn out pretty good in looks and color. But most RDs are aggressive.
Yeah Jr. was a pure red dragon and he definitely showed it in his personality. His daughters are only ⅔ red dragon and ⅓ fader so that might have something to do with their personalities as well.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah I tried sinking pellets a few times but he never showed any interest in them. I suppose he got so used to eating the floating ones for so long that he didn't want the other pellets.

Yeah Jr. was a pure red dragon and he definitely showed it in his personality. His daughters are only ⅔ red dragon and ⅓ fader so that might have something to do with their personalities as well.
Few fish do that. I think JSpilo JSpilo s fish doesn't eat sinking pellets too and I talked with someone who's fish didn't eat floating pellets. I guess if they are fed one type for their life they will get accustomed to it.

How come 2/3rd red dragon? That's a hard number to get.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Good looking fish. I've never kept Midas or Red Devils but I'm surprised they don't dig up and trash your plants.
I guess since they were raised from an inch to that size. I don't think those are real plants though. So may be glued.

Reactions: eyespot
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store