Do they make dentures for cats?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
As the title says, do they make em at all? My cat (Shaddow) has gotten old enough to the point where all he's got left for teeth is just the canines, the teeth between them and 1 molar left. He'll be roughly 17 years old come October and I'd like to make eating a bit easier for him beside just giving him canned food. He's gotten to the point where he can no longer eat dry food do to the lack of molars. I'm fine feeding him canned food if need be but I would like to know if there is a way to get him false teeth so he can eat dry food again.

Btw this is the old man and yes he's on the motor cycle even tho he kind of blends in with the seat lol. So far he is the oldest animal I have ever had and hoping for several more years to come. Also the only reason I say he is roughly 17 is because I got him as a stray dumpster diving in the trash can one day after school and he was already fully grown so he was atleast 1-2 years old when I got him.

20170915_204756.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Wet food is typically better for them than dry anyway, especially at that age where they tend to have failing kidneys and get dehydrated. Double especially if you give them raw meat.
He likes raw fish, chicken, deer and beef, but refuses to even touch pork, granted not such a bad thing considering that pork isn't good for em. He used to eat mashed potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and popcorn but he refuses to touch the stuff anymore. He still hunts from time to time but he's gotten a bit lazy with that, he's honestly just now starting to show his age with his habits. He used to be the biggest badest cat on the block and would bully all the other cats but he rarely goes out and fights with others anymore unless they are on the lawn. I just wish I could get him to quit shedding hair so much, even just petting him for a few seconds leaves ya with a handful of fur and yet he's still looks like a normal cat with no bald patches.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
No idea how to answer your question, but just had to congratulate you on taking such good care of the old guy and trying so hard to give him a good life. Nice to see.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Our rescue has 1 canine, maybe 3 front teeth and a couple good molars. He can manage some dry food that is softer, he is on rx food for his kidney failure.

We have found great success adding a little water to the food to soften it up. Its at the point where if we put it down dry we just get the stare until we add some water for him. We serve one meal at a time this way though as the food goes bad much quicker once wet.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Congratulations on the old and handsome cat!!! I agree that a quality canned food is the best option, I never tried adding water to dry food but no reason it shouldn't work as long as it isn't left out for more than one meal as suggested.

I also agree that kidney disease is a big factor in older cats, if you haven't had him checked lately please do. I've dealt recently with an almost 21 yr old cat with kidney disease and a good canned diet, Sub-Q fluids and a phosphate binder, Epakitin, kept her going for a long time until her death earlier this year.

If your cat enjoys or tolerates being brushed, get a FURminator for cats! It comes in varying sizes and works wonders on removing loose hair and even mats easily.

BTW, no dentures for cats!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
You know, there is a way to fix that. I've done it with my cat...
Lol personally I love hairless cats, I'd love to have one at some point. Only problem is my cat still doesn't like other animals... well except the fish and mice but that's a different kind of love haha. I'd also like to get a Lykoi, Bengal, Savannah and a Caracal if possible in the future.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Congratulations on the old and handsome cat!!! I agree that a quality canned food is the best option, I never tried adding water to dry food but no reason it shouldn't work as long as it isn't left out for more than one meal as suggested.

I also agree that kidney disease is a big factor in older cats, if you haven't had him checked lately please do. I've dealt recently with an almost 21 yr old cat with kidney disease and a good canned diet, Sub-Q fluids and a phosphate binder, Epakitin, kept her going for a long time until her death earlier this year.

If your cat enjoys or tolerates being brushed, get a FURminator for cats! It comes in varying sizes and works wonders on removing loose hair and even mats easily.

BTW, no dentures for cats!
Lol he loves being brushed by me atleast. However he hates going to the vet. Normally he is fine putting up with whatever somebody does to him but the moment he gets put into the car it's full on panic mode. Even had a vet assistant threaten to sue us because he bit her hard even tho we warned her multiple times that he is terrified of the vet and that she needed to wear gloves and keep their cats out of the room. All this just to get him his yearly shots. Least to say she didn't listen and she said and I quote "I have a way with cats" obviously not lol. Used to bring him in pet carriers till he kept breaking em trying to escape. The most recent one he broke was a hard plastic one with 1in thick bars on the door, he ripped the door in half... well that and clawed the living $#!+ Out of my legs. I need to take him to the vet again anyways tho because his last molar has a cavity, same color as his wet food, and it needs to get removed before it starts causing problems. I just hope I don't incounter a dog in the waiting room because my cat will got full mental and try to kill it.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
WOW, your cat is a hard core "I hate to be confined and doubly hate the vet" type.

Call your vet to see if they are willing to provide you with a medication that you can dose your cat prior to his visit to relax/calm him down a bit. Ideally you will need to know his weight to get the correct dosage.

I'm surprised the vet tech didn't/isn't using a cat muzzle during treatment even if it's a brief time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store