Do your fish bite you?

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
No--never had any fish bite me in many years of fish keeping--yet; knock on wood.

That is because of luck or happenstance, I didn't or don't have fish that bite, or were too timid to bite, and/or maybe seemed to be aware (in my mind), that you don't bite the hand that feeds you, in some cases. Ha. ...Oh boy, here comes that fish from beyond the water that always has the good stuff around it.
I have a quite a few different species.

Like I said I have probably been lucky. I have two cichlids that are species potential, potential monster biters. One I play tag with outside of the tank. It hangs around when I am cleaning algae. No attacks.
The other cichlid flees when I put my hand in the tank. Both are decent sized fish--5 & 6 inches, with heighth and girth and aggressive toward other fish.

My Senegal Dragons have never tried to bite me. They are 6 inches.

I have had most of my fish since they were tiny. I don't know that this has any bearing.

I have read that some fish can be trained. In some cases it may be too late, or just not possible. But in some cases it may be possible. I have read that feeding on one side of the tank while doing maintenance on the other works in some cases may work. Some fish are just too territorial for this.

> I saw online, a floating fish feeder that might keep them busy for a few minutes. Then remove the feeder when you are done with maintenance, or leave it if you you have really ferocious Barracuda wannabes : Magnetic Floating Fishing Ring by Two Little Fishies at SaltwaterAquariums.com. I would have put in the full address, but it wouldnt let me see the full address. It is supposed to work for any kind of food; flakes, powdered, pellets ect.
<<< >>> There are any number of various feeders and automatic feeders.
I have several various brand automatic feeders that I use when I am away for a weekend. Some are simple twice a day mechanical/battery operated. Others are digital that can be programed for any number of times and days. Some are quite reasonably priced. (Look up cheap--that doesn't mean inferior quality.)

My buddy had a big territorial freshwater angelfish that tried to attack and/or bite him every time he fed it or put his hand in the tank for maintenance. I bought him an automatic fish feeder. He just never bothered to use it.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I’ve been bit before quite a few times over the years. Arowanas get you good. My peacock bass sometimes blast my fingers when putting my hands in the tank, always scares the crap out of me lol.

• Love
Reactions: Matteus

Boboslunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2019
Central Oregon
No, but I try not to dangle my digits like sausages. The only one to worry about is Bobo. Im careful to show him its me and my hands not food and he is fine. Gotta be able to clean the tank. What do folks do whos fish are naughty i wonder.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I have been nipped by piranhas as a kid, while pulling dead bodies out of the tanks. Never felt much just started bleeding.

I have a pair of jewel chichlids that can be ferocious when they have fry. Scared of their own shadow other wise. The female would literally jump out of the water to bite my hand. She’s done this more times than I care to count.

Also when I am spot cleaning my gravel, often my bass get attracted to the tube and often nail the hose and it doesn’t touch me physically but I jump every time for sure. I hear you TheWolfman TheWolfman lol.

Ps. For those who refer to your fish by their pet names- some of us have absolutely no context of what type of fish you are referring to. Lol. Not everyone has seen your previous posts.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I have been nipped by piranhas as a kid, while pulling dead bodies out of the tanks. Never felt much just started bleeding.

I have a pair of jewel chichlids that can be ferocious when they have fry. Scared of their own shadow other wise. The female would literally jump out of the water to bite my hand. She’s done this more times than I care to count.

Also when I am spot cleaning my gravel, often my bass get attracted to the tube and often nail the hose and it doesn’t touch me physically but I jump every time for sure. I hear you TheWolfman TheWolfman lol.

Ps. For those who refer to your fish by their pet names- some of us have absolutely no context of what type of fish you are referring to. Lol. Not everyone has seen your previous posts.
My fish

Patch, Kong, Boss - blood parrots. Patch (avatar) is the female with a mouth of teeth. You can feel them grinding against the plastic when she attacks the siphon hose... Kong the larger male bites a good pinch and caught me on the forearm. Boss the smaller male charges but bluffs at biting.

Brick (teenage Oscar) gets excited and tries to eat anything in a radius of his nose. So, it gets bitten. Lately he's doing the 'leap out of water and grab fingers and knuckles when she's not looking' trick.

• Haha

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
My Jack's sometimes take my finger to the second knuckle in their mouth when I hand feed them krill... feel like sand paper tho never any damage.. my old flowerhorn monzie would attack me ruthlessly and always be blood but never too serious... piranha would scare the **** out me tho

• Wow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store