does arrowana and bichers get along?

eatyurface

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2005
California
im setting up a 60 gal tank and im thinking if a bicher and a silver arrowana will get along. Cuz i want those 2 fish in one tank. Then i mite add some fresh water eels.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
That tank is WAY too small for an arowana... a silver would outgrow that tank in no time flat. If you use it as a grow out thats cool, but it wont be big enough for long.

By the way....welcome to MFK!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hi there eatyurface, and welcome to MFK. I gotta go with rallysman here, No arowana is small enough to keep in a 60g.

DyaniBGud

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2005
Philippines
The 60G will probably be a grow out tank, which will only suffice for about 2 months only. Arowanas are fast growers during their early months. The minimum for an arowana will probably be a 5x2x2feet tank.

To answer your question, yes, the arowana will get along well with bichirs. :)

akchang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
alaska
i had an ornate birchir and silver arowana in the same tank at one time. they got along great! the aro was always on top and the birchir hung out on the bottom.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
eatyurface said:
im setting up a 60 gal tank and im thinking if a bicher and a silver arrowana will get along. Cuz i want those 2 fish in one tank. Then i mite add some fresh water eels.
if u wanna keep an aro i wld suggest getting a full 180g setup first. Grow out tanks are ok for other fish, but i find its better to keep an aro all the way in one tank as transfer can pose probs for the fish.

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
Yes, a 60g would not last very long for an arowana... i'd say at least a 125g, or better yet, like what IoStrisciare said, a 180g.

Also, what sizes do you intend on getting these 2 fish??... silver arowana are extremely fast growers. Most bichirs are somewhat fast growing at the beginning, but usually slow down after hitting the 12" mark. then their growth rate normally slow down (depending which species and their diet??). I know that P. e. congicus can grow extremely much more larger in shorter periods of time, if fed live foods (live feeder fish, to be exact).

So keep this in mind if you get both fish at the same size... Your silver aro will outgrow your bichir much more faster. GL and good keeping! :thumbsup:

Lspooky4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Fort Collins
they should be all right since they are different level fish, ie top and bottom general area of living

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
Yes, your Aro an Bicher will get along fine. My Jardini got along wit my bicher. But you should keep an eye out for a bigger tank you'll need it soon.
And welcome to MFK!

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
you'll need the bichir to be one of the larger lower jaw species
P. endlicheri endlicheri ('saddled' or 'red' bichir)- 32", possibly more
(subspecies)P. endlicheri congicus ('giant' or 'congo' bichir)- 39"
P. lapradei ('Lapradei' bichir)- 24"
P. bichir bichir-30+ ''
OR
P. ornatipinnis ('ornate' bichir)- 27"