Doing planted tank right

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Well I'm gonna do the while bonsai tree scape in my 20 long so I'm gonna need some help.

As of now I have a corner matter filter in the tank will this be okay? I would think so and if i decide to go with shrimp i would also think they would benefit off it as well.

What substrate? I want a carpet plant either dwarf hair grass or baby tears. I have eco complete in there now but I don't really like the look of it. (no dirt Pls)

Co2.. Well never done it so I guess I'll try.. In my area it'll be best if I could use paintball canisters so any suggestions on what I could use (not looking to spend loads but just the essentials)

I'll order a bonsai tree and probly use Java moss as I found that appeals to me the most in this situation. Can I use super glew to attach? If so does it matter what kind?

I would also like a little bit of color so maybe 1-2 plants (that arnt green) I could plant at the base of the tree.

I have a finnex 24/7 planted plus... I run it on 24/7 mode so it dims and stuff but I got a timer today so after its all setup I'll run Max light x-amount a day

Really decided I like this wen aquapros posted a video doing this do I wanna go somthing very similar.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Corner filter works fine...just not appealing to the eye and provides very little circulation.

Best substrate...ADA aqua soil Amazonia. Easiest carpet plant is dwarf sag and you can use the eco complete you have. Hair grass & baby tears are more demanding.

CO2 is a must if you want dense carpeting for hair grass & dwarf baby tears along with high lighting...the Finnex 24/7 will work fine.

Super blue gel will work in attaching moss to dw but I prefer the tedious task of wrapping it with thread. More of the moss will attach itself onto the dw...it's the new growth that'll look nice.

Here is a list of plants to choose from. I'm sure there are more...
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

My setup with manzanita wood with java moss and dwarf sag carpet on fluval stratum substrate with CO2 and a fi next ray2 light. Fertilizing is a topic in itself and should be considered. Hope I covered everything you asked. Lower middle in background is a red tiger lotus...leaves can get big and colorful.
image.jpeg

Red tiger lotus in same tank. You can see the coloration with red/orange/purple. Leaves want to get to the surface so I'm constantly clipping it so it doesn't over shade plants beneath it. One of my favorite.
image.jpeg

Reactions: bbortko

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Watch your lighting, especially at the start; lighting needs for plants are wildly overstated, I'd recommend you start on a lower percentage of maximum power, in conjunction with regular daily water changes, this will help keep ammonia down and help fight against algae, which is always a regular problem in new planted tank set-ups.

Also as mentioned by previous poster, circulation may be an issue with the matter filter, unless you have a powerhead on it?

I suggest monte Carlo as a carpet, it grows very easily in a suitable plant substrate; without co2.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
The corner matten filter actually provides a decent about of circulation... I got the jetlifter (I think it's called from Swiss tropical) but I could also buy a small HOB

Co2... Is there anything I need besides:
Paintball adapter
Regulator
Check valve
Diffuser

Fertilizers... Something I forgot to put in the post.. I have excel but I found I forgot a lot of the time to dose the tank. Is there auto dosers and also what all should I dose?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Also as for keeping ammonia down I have the tank cycled I have yet to take it down.. But I add media behind the matten filter so I can always use media from another tank.. Stocking I haven't decided but my 2 options I have in mind are blue shrimp or 8 pygmy Corie's and 12-18 cardinal tetras

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Co2 is snake oil. Completely pointless and really expensive. Lighting is where you should spend your money if you want a lush carpet of plants.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Co2 is snake oil. Completely pointless and really expensive. Lighting is where you should spend your money if you want a lush carpet of plants.
When i still had my HC carpet, without Co2 it didnt get anywhere, once adding Co2 it took off and started pearling...

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
When i still had my HC carpet, without Co2 it didnt get anywhere, once adding Co2 it took off and started pearling...
The Co2 fad has been debunked over and over again countless times, it literally only has an effect if your tank is stuffed with so many plants that it puts a dutch tank to shame. The Co2 from fish waste and the Co2 produced by the plants themselves are more than enough, excessive Co2 will simply go unused. As for why your plants didn't kick off until you added Co2, it's probably because many plants, especially delicate ones, will take a while to settle. Really it's snake oil and the companies selling these expensive kits are laughing all the way to the bank. I'd also like to remind you that people have been successfully stashing tanks full of plants for almost a century, without supplementary Co2.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Not saying your statement is false but this snake oil myth seems to work for me, so i guess i'll keep going with it for the time being...

Since for my planted tank at least, when Co2 goes out, plants start growing no where nearly as nicely...

Reactions: Aqua Nut

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The Co2 fad has been debunked over and over again countless times, it literally only has an effect if your tank is stuffed with so many plants that it puts a dutch tank to shame. The Co2 from fish waste and the Co2 produced by the plants themselves are more than enough, excessive Co2 will simply go unused. As for why your plants didn't kick off until you added Co2, it's probably because many plants, especially delicate ones, will take a while to settle. Really it's snake oil and the companies selling these expensive kits are laughing all the way to the bank. I'd also like to remind you that people have been successfully stashing tanks full of plants for almost a century, without supplementary Co2.
I'm afraid I disagree here. Plants require carbon dioxide to photosynthesize well, part of their respiratory process. It's all a balance, carbon dioxide allows plants to grow at a greater pace and consume greater amounts of nutrients in the water column and synthesize proteins faster giving better growth. I've seen the results for myself. Even the professor uses it, carbon dioxide is a crucial part in plant growth at a good rate.

The corner matten filter actually provides a decent about of circulation... I got the jetlifter (I think it's called from Swiss tropical) but I could also buy a small HOB

Co2... Is there anything I need besides:
Paintball adapter
Regulator
Check valve
Diffuser

Fertilizers... Something I forgot to put in the post.. I have excel but I found I forgot a lot of the time to dose the tank. Is there auto dosers and also what all should I dose?
Excel can be shadyz the main active ingredient is a preservative and should be used with caution. I've used liquid carbon before but just keep an eye on it :)

Yes it may work without co2, but recently the full scale, crazy growth ADA tanks have really taken off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store