Don’t go in the tall grass....

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm kind of envious of those of you who have praying mantises where you live. Excluding the ones I hatched and kept, I think I've seen a total of 3 in the wild. Although I guess I could go outside more...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm kind of envious of those of you who have praying mantises where you live. Excluding the ones I hatched and kept, I think I've seen a total of 3 in the wild. Although I guess I could go outside more...
Are you in Georgia the state or Georgia the country?

If it's Georgia the state, just leave an outside light on all night to attract bugs this time of the year, and all those bugs will eventually attract a mantis of some sort.

Edit- I imagine Georgia the country has mantids too, but I'm not familiar with what kinds may be there or how to find them.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Are you in Georgia the state or Georgia the country?

If it's Georgia the state, just leave an outside light on all night to attract bugs this time of the year, and all those bugs will eventually attract a mantis of some sort.

Edit- I imagine Georgia the country has mantids too, but I'm not familiar with what kinds may be there or how to find them.
I'm in the state, Ga, but I live in a more suburban area, so I don't quite get as big of a variety of insects. I'll be sure to try that though.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
They sell mantis egg sacs for reptile keepers if I remember correctly, buy one and hatch them? You’ll have all the mantis you’ll ever want for a life time.

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
They sell mantis egg sacs for reptile keepers if I remember correctly, buy one and hatch them? You’ll have all the mantis you’ll ever want for a life time.
That's exactly what I tried a couple years ago. They hatched and were doing really well, and I went to order my second batch of fruit flies, but there was a delay in the shipping on the supplier's end, and the baby mantises died because I couldn't feed them.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The next step is you start breeding fruit flies.
.....A couple steps later you’ll end up with a business breeding feeder animals for reptile keepers. :nilly:

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Not my hobby.
You just mix instant oats with some water, yeast and beer then your flies breed on their own in that culture :D

Some of my brothers feed items for the inverts:
IMG_20190908_103121.jpg
He picks them out of here and chucks the rest back into the breeding boxes :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store