Don’t go in the tall grass....

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Here are a couple more cicadas I found towards the end of last month.
376E5034-9BD0-42DD-B2D3-E8FA9921E119.jpeg
F10A3EC5-D922-4669-B09F-6613971B1BFD.jpeg
These guys seem to be clumsy, I’ve had a handful fly into me while I’m working outside or they zip right past me.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Took a group out for a zipline adventure in the jungle a few days ago, came across this Shelob-sized critter after a monsoon downpour:

Big Spider 1.jpg

Big Spider 2.jpg

Big Spider 3d.jpg

fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 don't watch this video before going to bed, it'll give you nightmares lol:

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Reactions: islandguy11

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Just come across this thread. You guys are so lucky having creatures like these living amongst you. We have nothing exotic like this in the uk. We do have foxes, badgers, grey squirrels, rabbits and hedgehogs but the only time we usually see them is when they're roadkill!

Mind you, can't grumble too much. At least we don't get snakes, scorpions and dinner plate sized spiders.

My son loves rummaging in the garden for beetles and such. He found a common house spider one day and insisted on putting it in a little box and letting it live in the house. So I put it in the spare bedroom and now and again we'd catch a fly and feed the little guy. My son soon got bored and so it became my job. This was about 12 months ago and the spider still lives in its little box and muggins here still feeds it. Below is a picture of the little box it lives in. It's difficult to see but there is a carpet of thin web outside the entrance where I throw the flies for it to get.

I know, I know, I know, I really need to get a life but there you have it.

20191008_162835.jpg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Just come across this thread. You guys are so lucky having creatures like these living amongst you. We have nothing exotic like this in the uk. We do have foxes, badgers, grey squirrels, rabbits and hedgehogs but the only time we usually see them is when they're roadkill!

Mind you, can't grumble too much. At least we don't get snakes, scorpions and dinner plate sized spiders.

My son loves rummaging in the garden for beetles and such. He found a common house spider one day and insisted on putting it in a little box and letting it live in the house. So I put it in the spare bedroom and now and again we'd catch a fly and feed the little guy. My son soon got bored and so it became my job. This was about 12 months ago and the spider still lives in its little box and muggins here still feeds it. Below is a picture of the little box it lives in. It's difficult to see but there is a carpet of thin web outside the entrance where I throw the flies for it to get.

I know, I know, I know, I really need to get a life but there you have it.

View attachment 1390999
Haha! That is so cute!
Kinda reminds me of a few years back my daughter and son told me they had a pet spider in their room and how they made it a home and were feeding it. I thought it was an imaginary pet since they normally ask me to remove bugs from their room if they happen to find any.
This goes on for a few days till they ask if I want to see it. I say ok and they run off.
My son comes back a minute later to show me this!
0CED207F-15F1-4974-BF3B-731E17C29EC0.jpeg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Haha! That is so cute!
Kinda reminds me of a few years back my daughter and son told me they had a pet spider in their room and how they made it a home and were feeding it. I thought it was an imaginary pet since they normally ask me to remove bugs from their room if they happen to find any.
This goes on for a few days till they ask if I want to see it. I say ok and they run off.
My son comes back a minute later to show me this!
View attachment 1391176
That's cute haha!

We're getting lots of geckos around now that summer is coming out. Very cute creatures :D

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
That's cute haha!

We're getting lots of geckos around now that summer is coming out. Very cute creatures :D
It was cute and a bit shocking. Lol Their pet had to be relocated outside after that;)

I wish we had geckos! Any chance you can get a picture or two of them?

I’ve been looking through some old pictures and found this.
B3FA4D1B-E29C-4580-B90F-11A7E2028AED.png

He was absolutely amazing to see. I’ve seen other owls before, but never so close and for so long.
He looked right at me when I opened the window. I wanted to remove the screen too, but he was already watching me and I didn’t want to scare him off.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
A few more old pictures I came across.
This guy was a young woodchuck that hung around for a few months. I’d see him in the yard on and off in the evenings. Then one day my kids told me they had a pile of rocks for me out in their hangout spot in the woods. I follow them out to collect the rocks. I pointed out this tree and said it was the perfect climbing tree. As I climbed over some rocks at the base I looked up to see this guy just a couple feet above me! He must have been just as startled as me, he didn’t move at all. I got my pictures and then we all left him alone.
D3A1C5B5-FFB9-4F8D-9D8E-213498776022.png04D250E9-BE1B-43A5-B2D2-41E370B5239E.png

And this guy is a northern flicker. My daughter and I were in the house and heard something hit the window. I ran over to see this guy sitting in the grass. It was a very hot summer day and he was panting. I wasn’t sure it was from possibly getting hurt hitting the window or if he was just really over heated. We gave him some water that he drank up right away and kept him in the shade. After 5mins or so he flew off! I like to think he didn’t suffer any long term injuries from hitting the window and that maybe he was just to dehydrated to fly at the time.
978EF67E-2E7C-4B0F-A1CE-5EE0AB91BAAE.png26455296-5F00-46EA-BEA4-4851381C8EDF.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store