Don’t go in the tall grass....

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I watched this little guy grow all summer he took up residence in a planter that the grass took over beside my house.
This was when it was tiny I should have took pictures of it as it grew up.
9B597BA1-8C46-4B45-962C-DA2A71CBC6C3.jpeg

We have ant lions here too. I used to feed them ants when I was a child.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I wish we had some that were that big, millipedes are awesome. The ones we have are about 1.5 inches long and make your hand smell sweet if you handle them for too long.

Reactions: islandguy11

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
We get a lot of these millipedes traipsing through the house, from 1" up to bigger ones like this ~7-8". They're not at all aggressive and usually curl into a ball if threatened.

View attachment 1395773

View attachment 1395774
I’ve seen a few of those when I was in Thailand. Quite impressive creatures. I believe they are a high veg diet and can make good work of scrap fruit and veg.

I have also seen them in a community style terrarium with anoles, long tail grass lizards and green tree frogs.

I wonder if your aros would eat them?

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I’ve seen a few of those when I was in Thailand. Quite impressive creatures. I believe they are a high veg diet and can make good work of scrap fruit and veg.

I have also seen them in a community style terrarium with anoles, long tail grass lizards and green tree frogs.

I would guess they would Matt but I don't really feed live (though Aros do get some small flying insect snacks that get into tank via large meshed screen lids).

Also with millipedes "Many species can emit poisonous liquid secretions or hydrogen cyanide gas through tiny pores along the sides of their bodies as a means of defense." I'd guess the Aros system can handle it if they can eat massive centipedes as some feed them, but personally just wouldn't take the chance.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I watched this little guy grow all summer he took up residence in a planter that the grass took over beside my house.
This was when it was tiny I should have took pictures of it as it grew up.
View attachment 1392175

We have ant lions here too. I used to feed them ants when I was a child.
I love him!

We get a lot of these millipedes traipsing through the house, from 1" up to bigger ones like this ~7-8". They're not at all aggressive and usually curl into a ball if threatened.

View attachment 1395773

View attachment 1395774
Good night that thing is a BEAST

We get them up country, their Zulu nickname is "shongololos"
I love that

Millipedes and Centipede are very small in my part of the US lol.
Here in FL our millipedes can get 4-5" sometimes. I can't imagine one like THAT lol

I once dropped one in to an arowana with a very high feeding response. He smashed it as soon as it but the water as expected, but he immediately spit it out and didn't trust anything I put in the tank for almost a week after.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store