*******DONT ASK IF THEY'RE BANNED************

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
not from the states, so do not quote me on this , but i think md is one of the only places in the u.s that state along with fedral law snakeheads are banned from importation , introduction , of transportation accross and state lines . but i do not belive they are banned from ownership in md , i think this is probably one of the only states that alow them to be kept if you allready own one ect. again i could be wrong on this so double check info with md dnr before doing anything. but the list of prohibited species i looked at only listed the fish below:

• [*]Asian swamp eel (Monoterus albus)
    [*]Bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis)
    [*]Black carp (Mylopharynodon piceus)
    [*]Candiru (Vandellia cirrhosa)
    [*]Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis)
    [*]Eurasian river ruffe (Gymnocephalus cernuus)
    [*]Giant salvinia (Salvinia molesta)
    [*]Grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella)
    [*]Green Caulerpa seaweed (Caulerpa taxifolia)
    [*]Quagga mussel (Dreissena bugensis)
    [*]Round goby (Neogobius melanostomus)
    [*]Rusty crayfish (Orconectes rusticus)
    [*]Silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix)
    [*]Walking catfish (Clarius batrachus)
    [*]Zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha)
Snakehead Species Prohibited from Import, Transport, or Introduction:

• [*]African snakehead (Parachanna obscura)
    [*]Bangka snakehead (Channa bankanensis)
    [*]Baram snakehead (Channa baramensis)
    [*]Barca snakehead (Channa barca)
    [*]Black snakehead (Channa melasoma)
    [*]Blackfinned snakehead (Channa melanoptera)
    [*]Blotched snakehead (Channa maculata)
    [*]Bluespotted snakehead (Channa cyanospilos)
    [*]Bullseye snakehead (Channa marulius)
    [*]Burmese snakehead (Channa burmanica)
    [*]Ceylon snakehead (Channa orientalis)
    [*]Chel snakehead (Channa amphibeus)
    [*]Chevron snakehead (Channa striata)
    [*]Chinese snakehead (Channa asiatica)
    [*]Congo snakehead (Parachanna insignis)
    [*]Dwarf snakehead (Channa gachua)
    [*]Emperor snakehead (Channa maruloides)
    [*]Giant snakehead (Channa micropeltes)
    [*]Golden snakehead (Channa stewartii)
    [*]Inle snakehead (Channa harcourtbutleri)
    [*]Niger snakehead (Parachanna africana)
    [*]Night snakehead (Channa nox)
    [*]Northern snakehead (Channa argus)
    [*]Ocellated snakehead (Channa pleurophthalmus)
    [*]Orangespotted snakehead (Channa aurantimaculata)
    [*]Panaw snakehead (Channa panaw)
    [*]Rainbow snakehead (Channa bleheri)
    [*]Splendid snakehead (Channa lucius)
    [*]Spotted snakehead (Channa punctata)
only 2 parachanna mentioned and no channa pulchra or channa ornatipinis although i suspect they have that angle well covered , iam sure in the fedral law it states any member of the class channide , which includes but not limited too:

either way you are going to struggle to find any in any stores as they are banned from importation into the country and from transportation accross state lines , so you only option would be a channa breader in m.d. if they are in fact legal to keep . which is going to be near impossable

cheers col

cheers col

bbrtmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Last Outpost
i wounder if burbout are the same thing they are a native species in wyoming that was supposed to stay in 1 lake they look similer but more eel like. In the lake they are native to you are only allowed to catch 3 a day and must be over 12 inchs. But someone thought it would be fun to release them into the flaming gorge and they are killing off all the game fish so if u catch one there your not allowed to rekease it no matter the size or what you intend to do with it. Most common name is Ling or poor mans lobster as the meat has the same texture and about the same taste. If i can find a good pic of one i will post it.

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Doen
snt federal law "break" state law ?
So if its not forbidden in one state, but there is a federal ban, isnt it forbidden then too ?

Thats the way it would be in Germany (and Europe, EC law brakes country law)

sp33dstix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
So I finally got a response from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and this is what they sent me regarding possession of snakeheads in Ontario:

"Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.

It is illegal to possess live invasive fish including: round goby, tubenose goby, grass carp, bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, rudd, ruffe and any species of snakehead. If any of these species

are caught they should be destroyed and not released back into any waters.

Under the Canadian Fisheries Act;

"fish" includes

(a) parts of fish,

(b) shellfish, crustaceans, marine animals and any parts of shellfish, crustaceans or marine animals, and

(c) the eggs, sperm, spawn, larvae, spat and juvenile stages of fish, shellfish, crustaceans and marine animals;

As you can see possession of snakehead or any part of them is illegal in Ontario.

For more information in regards to invasive species or to report a sighting, call the Invading

Species Hotline 1-800-563-7711 or visit www.invadingspecies.com.

Regards,

jsanzone11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
baltimore
Is this still current info? Can you still sell dwarf snakeheads in MD?

Euge;1000728; said:
From what i know. Currently maryland is the only state that allows hobbyist to keep snakeheads. However you are only permited to keep drwarf snakeheads. You still are not allowed to transport these snakeheads over statelines.

aquaman5000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2008
eastern shore virginia
if it is fed law that is the law of the land fed law states you cant keep live or dead snake heads at all. and if the state has a law and the feds have a law youu get charged by the state and the united states govenment. i imagine its a slap on the wrist though nothing huge

tropheus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
federal law currently bans only the importation ofsnakeheads and movement across state lines. It is also illegal to introduce theminto a state waterway.

local state law in all states apart from md states it is illegal to keep them also .

please do check with the relivant office in md ,to make certain no changes have been made though .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store