Dormitator maculatus "Sleeper Goby, Fat Sleeper, Jade Sleeper Goby"

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
I saw one in a LFS and fell in love with it. I did a little research, but can anyone tell me how these fish do in a predatory community tank with other large carnivorous fish. I'm wanting personal experiences. any and all comments are welcomed.
Description: Jade Sleeper Gobies are tube-shaped fish, female with blue/gray coloration while the male has the same base coloration, but is more colorful having orange and green on his stomach and dorsal.

They do best in brackish waters, but hard freshwater or even full saltwater are options. Keywords: fat sleeper goby jade Origin (ie - Africa, Asia, South America, etc): North to South America: along the Atlantic slope from North Carolina to southeastern Brazil. Max. Size (in Inches): 26 inches Minimum Tank Size (length in inches): 72 inches Minimum Tank Size (in Gallons): 135 Gallons Social Behavior (Peaceful or Aggressive) Peaceful Social Behavior (Tolerant or Territorial) Territorial Social Behavior (Gregarious or Solitary) Solitary Diet Omnivore Additional Diet Info Swim Area Middle & Top Life Span (in years) 10 years Ideal Aquascaping (Plants, Holey Rock, Caves, etc.) Detailed Physical Description: See description and photos Gender Differences Dimorphic Breeding Cave Spawner Additional Breeding Info Ideal pH Range 7.0 - 8.5 Ideal Water Hardness (in dH) Ideal Temperature Range (F) 72 - 77 F Habits and Additional Notes These fish are extremely personable. For the first couple of weeks, I never saw them as they were always hiding in the rocks. But now they swim right into my hand to retrieve whatever food I happen to be offering. Difficulty Intermediate Availability Easily obtained

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
(from what I've observed) They can hold their own very well. They also grow quite fast.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Camshaft Ramrod;3448103; said:
(from what I've seen) They can hold their own very well. They also grow quite fast.

thanks camshaft!!!

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Their cool fish though. Mine was very active. He was in with fish twice his size. Some of them were sob's too. He didnt care, he actually didnt pay too much attention to them. He'd bump into the other fish and push them all over the tank if they were in the way like, "stfu, your in my way, get over it"

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
i've got a jade goby that is about 12", pretty much what cam said. he can hold his own but doesn't pay attention to anything else...

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I had a 10" or so with some of my preds... I think he was so scared he would just hide all day. had some shredded fins but nothing major. he would just try to blend in with the black back (tank) or try to hide in the driftwood. he wasnt for me or my tankmates so I gave him away for free

He was pretty cool tho... ate like a garbage disposal

In the end, I think it was because I had lots of hiding spots for him and maybe he took advantage... never seen him much but the following keeper said he would come out and play all day...

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
I actually had Cams for awhile and at first he was exactly like he said with my two Oscars. After awhile though he seemed to sulk and get really skittish. They started picking on him pretty bad after awhile. I think it was mainly a space issue. Cam had him in a 240, I only had a 75....

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I have a 7" Jade Goby in a 150g who eats literally everything. He has killed at least five fish and loves plants. He is very, very aggressive to anything smaller than him and territorial towards other fish. He sits in a cave and only comes out to eat.

They create a ton of waste.

Also, they are known as pushovers. I'm surprised so many people are saying they hold their own. My pike cichlid terrifies my jade goby. See pics:

And lastly, the "tough guy" in action:

Reactions: moe214 and trin dog

Jaymesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Daytona Beach fl
I catch them all the time in brakesh water and fresh in ditches and canals all over florida does anybody want any? Is thire a market for them I would be willing to come off a few for shipping onley if interested ? Also thay can live out the water for a few days I found 1 in back yard 2 days after it jump out bucket lol and it was fine

0430190311d.jpg

0426192335a.jpg

0426190536.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store