Dovii or something else?

Billabong101

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2020
Hi everyone, I just became a member of MFK and I’m loving it. Been in the hobby for about 6 months and decided to go down the wormhole of predator tanks. I decided I really wanted a Dovii so I ordered one from my LFS. However, I’m a little skeptical as to whether or not they sent me a Dovii or some hybrid or something else. I got it from a LFS that usually only sells African cichlids. The fish is about 3”. The markings, colors (or lack thereof) and general body shape seem a little off. It has some red tint on the tail and the black marking that usually goes the length of the fish is only on the back 2/3’s of the fish. The shape seems a little oval and round to me also, instead of a more pointed large mouth with a hooked under jaw. This is the first one I’ve kept. Any help with identifying would be appreciated. Thanks!!

0BE3CA94-82ED-49D3-AD0D-BAE0B0D75D63.jpeg

D349C7D1-0253-4633-A78F-35F9D1AEAC59.jpeg

Billabong101

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2020
I’m not an expert but if I had to guess I would guess vieja bifa or frens...though you might want to wait for for experienced people to chime in
That’s kind of what I was thinking too. It also has some red above the eyes the more I look at it.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
That’s kind of what I was thinking too. It also has some red above the eyes the more I look at it.
I think it’s going to be a really nice fish, you can see the blue in the cheeks and maybe on the belly area

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It's definitely from the Veija group and most resembles zanotus or guttulatus. Without knowing the history of the fish it will only be an educated guess and could well be a hybrid. One thing for sure its definitely not a dovii.

Billabong101

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2020
Thank you guys! I was pretty sure it wasn't a Dovii, but thought I'd get a couple opinions. I was leaning vieja zonatus. Guess I'll be going back to trade it or sell it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store