Drip system and canisters?

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
I've seen all the talk on using a Drip System with everyones Wet/ Dry but could it be modified to work with my canisters setup? I'm thinking maybe I can use a Tee in one of my return lines to a pressure regulator then an emitter to drip to a dain in my basement then use a return dripline from my basement to my tank. Thinking I could drip 1 gph hour in an 1 gph out. Has anyone tried aything like this? That way I could just vacuum once a week or so but not have to drain out a bunch of water at once. At 1 GPH I could drip ~175 GP week which would be just over 100% change a week. I know on my last water report that Chlorine was listed not sure on Chloramines though. I could setup something or just add some Amquel Plus every few days if need be. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I did read rallysman thread and a couple of others seems like it might be eay enough to try.

Craig

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
What you could do is put a HOB overflow box and hook the out put to a drain and then as your tank level gets higher it will just drain into the drain.

I would drip it about 1 to 2 gph depending on your stocking level.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
repair;881062; said:
What you could do is put a HOB overflow box and hook the out put to a drain and then as your tank level gets higher it will just drain into the drain.

I would drip it about 1 to 2 gph depending on your stocking level.
Never thought of that now if I can find a small one as I am trying to cut beck from stuff in my tank.

Craig

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
looked into the HOB overflow but I don't know if it would work since I would only be dripping 1 gph and not sure if it would handle that slow of a flow.

Craig

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I have 4 tanks running that way and they have done fine.

1 - 120 @ 2gph
2 - 29 @ 1gph
1 - 75 @ 3gph

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
Repair thanks, I'm ordering a CPR Overflow w/ Aqualifter 300 gph so that will take care of my drainage anda got the basics setup for my fill w/ 1 gph emitter. Was fun talking the wife into drilling through the floor for the line and will be fun once she sees the bigger hole for the return. What is the best way to treat the water for Chloramines? Dosing if so what should I use? I have an Icemaker carbon filter to take care of the Chlorine and not sure if they are using chloramines locally but I figure hey probably are even though it wasn't listed on my water sheet that I got with my last water bill on water quality. Any good ideas I will be routing my lines in the nex few days and shortening eveything to size and will take some pictures. I should have my overflow on Wed. to finish everything up.

Thanks again.
Craig

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
craigthor;882887; said:
Repair thanks, I'm ordering a CPR Overflow w/ Aqualifter 300 gph so that will take care of my drainage anda got the basics setup for my fill w/ 1 gph emitter. Was fun talking the wife into drilling through the floor for the line and will be fun once she sees the bigger hole for the return. What is the best way to treat the water for Chloramines? Dosing if so what should I use? I have an Icemaker carbon filter to take care of the Chlorine and not sure if they are using chloramines locally but I figure hey probably are even though it wasn't listed on my water sheet that I got with my last water bill on water quality. Any good ideas I will be routing my lines in the nex few days and shortening eveything to size and will take some pictures. I should have my overflow on Wed. to finish everything up.

Thanks again.
Craig
Are you sure that you have Chloramines in yopur tap water? I would call your water company and check.

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
repair;883319; said:
Are you sure that you have Chloramines in yopur tap water? I would call your water company and check.
I've been told by 2 different sources, my brother in law who raises chiclids and a trusted LFS who I do alot of buisiness with. I know they add an ungodly amount of chlorine as I can taste it on most days in my water. I ordered an chlorine and chloramine filter from the filterguys.biz so that will take care of anything I've missed.

Craig

craigthor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
IA
Got my overflow today CPR 50/ 300 GPH, works great also got the Aqualifter pump but due to my slow drain it actually drained my overflow so I unplugged it. It's currently all ghetto'd up as I am using my chlorine filter and lots of tubing just floating around the basement till I drill some holes this weekend, also get my other filter tomorrow. My drain for the overflow I used 3/4" pipe run to a union then to a 3/4 by 1/2" threaded end to vinyl tubing run out my window that is next to the tank right now. I will get some pics as I get everything staightend out. Thanks for all that helped out.

Craig

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store