Drip system questions

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
So I've ordered the line yesterday as well as the sharkbite ball valve and pressure gauge and a 1/2" to 1/4" reducing coupling that I'll run the 1/4" line to the emitter in the tank with....does all this sound good?

Screenshot_2018-05-21-11-13-30.png

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Take a looks at my thread in the Cichla forum I just set up my drip but I had better results putting a ball valve before the pressure regulator, I kept getting minor leaks from the pvc threads. Once I turned down my pressure all problems went away. I still have the pressure regulator as insurance but I’m running even less pressure then 25 now. I also had issues with the plastic drip line and found that regular airline tubing to be much better.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Take a looks at my thread in the Cichla forum I just set up my drip but I had better results putting a ball valve before the pressure regulator, I kept getting minor leaks from the pvc threads. Once I turned down my pressure all problems went away. I still have the pressure regulator as insurance but I’m running even less pressure then 25 now. I also had issues with the plastic drip line and found that regular airline tubing to be much better.
I was gonna use the ball valve before the gauge and close the line untill I get the desired psi on my gauge instead of using an actual regulator if I go that route

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Also this line was gonna be used to connect the sharkbite push to connects untill it connects to the 1/2" to 1/4" reducing coupling which I will probably run rodi tubing or airline tubing from there to an emitter

Screenshot_2018-05-20-18-31-38.png

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
TheWolfman TheWolfman I can't find your thread could you link me?

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I was gonna use the ball valve before the gauge and close the line untill I get the desired psi on my gauge instead of using an actual regulator if I go that route
You need a globe valve for that. Ball or gate valves shouldn't be left partially open.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
TheWolfman TheWolfman I can't find your thread could you link me?
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/did-someone-say-water-change.702000/

Honestly I would focus on the rate of the actual drip as opposed to an actual psi. I have a brass needle valve that is just cracked open and I restrict the drip at the tank with a adjustable admitter. It takes a little tome to tune in correctly but once it’s set you can forget about it. The reason I did it this way was because I kept having pinhole leaks around the barbed fitting where it chokes down to the tubing, and by keeping the psi very low greatly reduced the chances of a leak down the road.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Y'all have lost me I don't think you guys understand what I'm talking about lol

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
You need a globe valve for that. Ball or gate valves shouldn't be left partially open.
the person who recommended I use the ball valve to regulate the pressure has been dripping for quite some time, don't think a globe valve is needed.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/did-someone-say-water-change.702000/

Honestly I would focus on the rate of the actual drip as opposed to an actual psi. I have a brass needle valve that is just cracked open and I restrict the drip at the tank with a adjustable admitter. It takes a little tome to tune in correctly but once it’s set you can forget about it. The reason I did it this way was because I kept having pinhole leaks around the barbed fitting where it chokes down to the tubing, and by keeping the psi very low greatly reduced the chances of a leak down the road.
I am not piercing the line and running individual emitters off the line I'm running one line from the reducing coupler to the 450gallon then when I need to add other lines down the road I'll close the ball valve and tee off the 1/4" line to other tanks

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store