Drop Eye Prevention Tip

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
twk1;3054447; said:
Yes I know they are a different species.... But they are very very much similar to one another.. That's why
That's why there are very few black aros that can get DE too as u mentioned. But yes the silvers are more prone to DE due to genetics.
So if u really think head trauma is from bangin into the glass.... Then how do silvers in the wild get there DE?
First do you have any proof of silvers with DE in the wild? I do believe then could get DE, lost of jumping in a flooded forest would lead me to believe that they smack their head jumping into trees or hitting the trunks on the way down. I also believe that if they get DE in the wild that either they recover from it or perish.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
there hasnt been a link to show wild aro with DE

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
artemis1;3054406; said:
simply genetics causes some fish to gain eccess amounts of fat much quicker than others, similar to the manner in which some people get fatter easier than others. :)
That's what I'm trying to say.... :)

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
i think this thread is mostly filled with BS

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
artemis1;3054406; said:
so... if fat has nothing to do with it... then how come removing the fatty tissues behind the eyes during surgery cures the drop eye?

simply genetics causes some fish to gain eccess amounts of fat much quicker than others, similar to the manner in which some people get fatter easier than others.

on a side note, i have no idea how trauma associates with DE, however, not to mention i've only heard a couple of cases where the owner claims that it happened, too.

/\ mostly just my opinion, except that surgery removing fats does cure DE... the rest... just my speculation :)
Everyone seems to think the tissue is fat, yet no proof that it is. Seems like this would be an odd place for fat to build, especially in a fish. Could it be the tissue builds because of the void left by the DE?

Hao;3054522; said:
i think this thread is mostly filled with BS
I don't think it's BS, just opinions. Good discussion can either validate or invalidate these opinions. Though like we will never really know.

WHITECJ2OW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
So Cal
Bderick67;3054771; said:
artemis1;3054406; said:
so... if fat has nothing to do with it... then how come removing the fatty tissues behind the eyes during surgery cures the drop eye?

simply genetics causes some fish to gain eccess amounts of fat much quicker than others, similar to the manner in which some people get fatter easier than others.

on a side note, i have no idea how trauma associates with DE, however, not to mention i've only heard a couple of cases where the owner claims that it happened, too.

/\ mostly just my opinion, except that surgery removing fats does cure DE... the rest... just my speculation :)
Everyone seems to think the tissue is fat, yet no proof that it is. Seems like this would be an odd place for fat to build, especially in a fish. Could it be the tissue builds because of the void left by the DE?
not only this but most people feed there aros with very lean food so even if the aro genetics cause it to store fat more so than others there is not that much fat to begin with in the food.

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
My Silver Arowana that I kept four and a half years had one eye that dropped from when I first purchased him however keeping him in a tank with floating plants his second eye never dropped after about four years. I think floating plants helped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store