Drop Eye Prevention Tip

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
perfect_prefect;3034459; said:
i didnt read this whole thread but i read some info about someone that manages zoo tanks and has done necropsy on silvers and paima's that show that when drop eye occurs there is a build up of cartilage behind the eye, and that he has noticed that it is basically been from physical trauma where the fish either hits a lid or a wall. something to help prevent but not cure (curing would take surgery to remove the cartilage) would be to paint both ends of your tank along with the back wall so the only clear glass would be the front so the fish can unmistakingly see its boundries on the fly to try to avoid running into it. this is why fish in ponds and in the wild dont generally have drop eye. no glass to run into.
Interesting, would love to see a link to that. Alot of people say it is fat, I've always wondered if the tissue was actually fat.

The painting would help, but I know with my silver the trauma came as a result of being spooked. Once the aro was spooked and freaked out, it did not care what it was running into. My guess is that this would be the case with most aros, unless in really big tanks.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Bderick67;3034739; said:
Interesting, would love to see a link to that. Alot of people say it is fat, I've always wondered if the tissue was actually fat.

The painting would help, but I know with my silver the trauma came as a result of being spooked. Once the aro was spooked and freaked out, it did not care what it was running into. My guess is that this would be the case with most aros, unless in really big tanks.
true head trauma is number 1 :D

Arowana1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
California Motherlode Area
I have been keeping surface plants with arowanas for 9 years and think it is a plus for the arowanas I have kept (prevention Drop Eye, more natural hunting area etc.). It has worked for me.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
That's good if it has worked for you that's all that matters:) Any time you came simulate a more natural environment it is good.

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
Arowana1;3034854; said:
I have been keeping surface plants with arowanas for 9 years and think it is a plus for the arowanas I have kept (prevention Drop Eye, more natural hunting area etc.). It has worked for me.
whats the largest aro you have now?

henward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
did you know that documented arowanas, silver arowanas in the amazon also get drop eye.
maybe instead of looking at it as a disease or sickness, maybe its adaptation. they look up for food, but if they cant, they develop drop eye to make it easier to look for food below.

another spin on it i guess.

maybe they get drop eye because they know, that food doesnt always come from above.

silvers get drop eye most, asian aros its not so bad.

smartlove_518

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
United Arab Emirates
henward;3036633; said:
did you know that documented arowanas, silver arowanas in the amazon also get drop eye.
maybe instead of looking at it as a disease or sickness, maybe its adaptation. they look up for food, but if they cant, they develop drop eye to make it easier to look for food below.

maybe they get drop eye because they know, that food doesnt always come from above.

you could be right. it could be an adaptation rather than a disease. something to think about probably

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
henward;3036633; said:

Please provide a link to these wild DE silver aros. From what I've observed DE is a handicap. Because of the DE the arowana loose their binocular vision. The De will not only take away food sources above the water line, it greatly limits the sources below the waterline.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
sorry i was mistaken it is fat cells not cartilage, guess my mind got a little over anxious and started telling stories.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
my silver is currently 8-9" in my 55 gallon with heavy traffic around it and soon to be moved into my 150 down in my pond room which will cut down on traffic and things to spook it, then as soon as it hits 18" will be moved into my pond, hopefully if all goes well i will be able to raise my silver with no DE. im hoping keeping it where there isnt much to scare it that it wont develop DE before 18" when it will be moved to the pond, i am pretty sure it should be smooth sailing from there on out. will keep everyone informed, but if the glass walls theory is true, all you aro fans should get down on the monster plywood tank building and stop all the DE.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store