Dropping BD prices

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
OK.... MAybe we do actually agree on something? QUALITY isn't in the ****ter. Standards are. People call a Leo mixed with a Motoro "BD sp" now. What "we" call "quality BDs" nowadays are mutts. The crazy nice "Super WHite" BDs are mutts. So IF you were to compare the WC BDs in that thread to real PURE BDs these days then todays may be a bit nicer, why? Cause don't CBs typically result in nicer pups then the parents? Cause you're breeding 2 quality specimens whereas in the wild breeding happens regardless, chances of 2 NICE rays breeding is probably not as common.

If you're passing up eclipses like in that thread for $500 maybe you shouldn't be...... lol.

You know what has really changed? Everything. Thanks to the internet. Now all it takes is something like Qtaro for everyone to readjust what they deem "nice". Internet has given us the power to see pics of all the rays that are results of several generations of selective captive breeding...... Of course this yields crazy rays. BUT are they pure? Maybe from a hobbyist that is a purist. But do you think the ray puppy farms after the almighty dollar are breeding pure? lol.

Next 10 years will be super. People will realize how much the almighty dollar screwed the ray world......

Views on this kind of stuff probably vary greatly depending on when a person got into rays. Might be awesome if you're just getting in, might be flat out sickening if you've been a fly on the wall since before the ban........
This!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
They look nice! The important thing is if you feel they were worth the money. There are a lot of things that factor into the price of a ray...availability is a big one.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
And those were wild caught rays.
Exactly Jason, wild caught and true blood BD from Sao Felix. I will take some of those true wild pure bloods or like Jays recent wild pick up. At least I know the blood is fresh, no inbreeding and NO tainted bloodlines.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
It’s more like $500 per pair now.

If your refering to monster..... they are prob doing 500-600 a pair now.... but we all know the average going rate for fish are a little higher then johns prices.... you really can beat his prices.... good quick and quality service at monster aquarium

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
There is a few reasons for the price(s) dropping. Not only for BDs by the way, but also for Albinos, Boesemani and other nice rays. Just about 2 years ago Albino pearls went for 10k+ a pair. Now you can get a pair for a third of that, or even less.

This is coming from an European standpoint.

1) Supply and demand. There is simply so many professional breeders and people that have a few pairs at home breeding as a hobby - supply is VERY high.

2) Asian imports. They are cheaper and since most of them aren't pure, they have good looks aswell. Why would you pay 1500 for a pair of nice looking BDs when you can get a pair of even better looking (BD hybrids) for 800?

3) Quality. I know a few breeders in Europe that still breed very high quality, 100% pure BDs. They still demand a pretty high price per pair, but overall the prices have come down for the non-highend BD.

In Germany, you can easily get yourself a good looking (good quality) BD pair for about 600-800 US dollars. Not like AAA grade, but A or A+ grade for sure.

I have seen a few breeders that can't sell their pups at all, because they ask for lets say 300-400 bucks for a non-highend BD and nobody wants to pay that. No joke.

I even know one who stopped breeding his Pearls, completely. He doesn't let his Pearl males come near his females - simply because supply and demand is so bad, he would have to sell the pups for 100-200 bucks a piece and he doesn't want to do that.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Bump. Where are we at now with ray pricing? Adult black diamonds barely fetching $1000. Saturated market with less of a demand. BD (and all mutts) barely fetching $500 with the exception of big spots. I guess the new end goal for a selective breeder is to produce a solid white ray or a white with black spot ray.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Where are we at now with ray pricing?
I hope you don’t mind me going off topic but what are the ray prices for the various species that are available currently? I’m interested in knowing what the various rays go for at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store