EBJD Breeding

MKC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
Boston, MA
You should be able tell them apart by now assuming you keep up with feeding and water change. I'm able to sort my batch when they're 3 weeks old.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Wow...thats awesome! I didnt start feeding bbs til about 2 weeks after they were free swimming. Do you think i've lost all the blues because of this? And generally do pwc once a week. Is that not often enough? Mine are just over a month old and are only about the size of my pinky finger nail.

MKC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
Boston, MA
It’s critical that you feed them bbs once they start free swimming. However, if they are in a well established tank, most will probably be able to survive for a little while because they can always find these micro organisms to feed on. Sorry to say...but you might have lost all of the blues from this batch as blues don’t compete well against their non-blue siblings. How often a WC is done depends on the tank you use to keep them in and your feeding schedule…I do weekly 40-50% WC while keeping them with their parents in a 40 breeder until I sort them out in about 4-5 weeks. You should be able to tell them apart at the size you described. I’ve posted a few threads about ebjd breeding, feel free to check them out :) As far as picture example of how to tell the blues and non-blues apart, try to search through this forum, I think there is a thread name “step by step guide to ebjd breeding”…it should help answering your questions. or I can try to serach throught some old pictures and see if I have some good examples...

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Hmm...well given that I have well over 200 babies thriving, it seems theoretically impossible to have no blues (depending on the original amount of eggs). Although over the last 3 years I've discovered that the odds are usually against me when it comes to ebjd's. Lol...fortunately I have another batch that are 8 days free swimming and have been fed bbs since day 1!

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I think their translucentsy (sp?) came into play with the yellow look becuase of ur lightts and substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store