EBJD Breeding

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Hmm...it seems you may have found the possible answer...and the most obvious ...i may have been had by the guy I got my 2 bgjd females from! Unfortunately I don't have any other unrelated bgjd females to breed to my top ebjd male. So I either have to wait for my young ebjd male to spawn. Then grow out one of his daughters to breed back. Or rely on getting another bgjd female from someone else and hope it actually is! Lol

Steve86

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
Australia
gday,

firstly you have a beautiful EBJD there mate. regarding the fry, you will see the difference in the fry as young as 10mm long. the EBJD's will have NO blotchy pattern through there body, where as the "normal" or BGJD's will have the blotchy lines throughout there body. the EBJD's will have very distinct vertical bars and wont start to show the blue sheen until approx 3cm. if you would like to see some pics i could put some up to show the difference between the young fry.

hope this helps

cheers

iDRINKbLEACH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Miami, Florida
First of all great thread and you have beautiful fish. I am sure that are very proud. Having a successful hatching of fry is a great feeling. I am starting my own project and I learned a lot from you, thanks.

Please keep us posted.

Steve86

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2011
Australia
Gday all,
ok i have some pics to show a few differences between the EBJD and the normal JD when very young, approx 10mm in length and around 2-3 weeks old. at this stage they are showing the thin vertical black bars and are very different to the normal JDs to the trained eye. the EBJD's i have noticed, stick closer to the bottom and are starting to get out competed for food by the others. they usually stick together and should be separated as early as possible.

the first 3 images show both a EBJD (thin vertical stripes) and the normal or "splits" with the blotchy pattern. its quite noticeable in these pics.

EBJD vs JD.jpg

EBJD1.jpg

EBJD vs JD 1.jpg

In the following 3 pics, it shows the same batch at approx 8weeks old and 3cm in length. they have grown remarkably fast and are very aggressive feeders. at about 2.5cm to 3cm they will start showing the blue sheen, maybe even earlier in a display tank. as our tanks are bare for cleanliness, they would show colours better with some darker gravel, plants driftwood etc.

EBJD 3cm.jpg

EBJD 3cm 1.jpg

EBJD 3cm 2.jpg

for the most part, they haven't seemed to be the quiet and scared little things that everyone makes them out to be, yea sure they are a bit more reserved then the JD but nothing to the extent of what is out there on the net. they are messy eaters and especially with things like beef heart, so make sure you have good sized filters to grow them out.

one last thing, that i could go on for hours about is the genetics behind getting the most EBJD's from a spawn. i have read a lot of articles on them and spoken to a few very knowledgeable people involved in breeding them. i have been told that trying to strengthen the blood line by adding in new lines, isn't really necessary. over here in Australia they are few and far between anyways and not allowed to be imported either, so that makes it hard.

as for your spawn that you have had in the past, have they all been the orange that you have said about earlier in this topic? it could certainly come down to what you feed, brine shrimp will bring that colour in them for sure. keep up your water quality, as they are messy fish. also make sure that you separate them when you can, then they wont be out competed for food and you'll get the best out of them growth wise.

i hope that this info helps, sorry to ramble on haha. fish are something i am very passionate about and would to love talk all day about the subject!

cheers

EBJD 3cm 1.jpg

EBJD 3cm 2.jpg

EBJD 3cm.jpg

EBJD vs JD 1.jpg

EBJD vs JD.jpg

EBJD1.jpg

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Wow...thanks again mate!! Awesome pictures! Earliest identifiable differences I have seen anywhere on the web. Unfortunately as I mentioned I think the sole reason I haven't been able to pick out the eb's is because there haven't been any! I'm now definitely convinced after staring at my latest batch of fry that my supposed bgjd female is really a reg. Dempsey. On the bright side, well actually the darkside, I have a group of bgjd's growing out. Approximately 2" now, and maybe 10 or so are nearly completely black with blue flecks! I think they look awesome! I'll put up a couple pics...I've nicknamed them "BlackJacks" obviously!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store