EBJD Breeding

Stevie p

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
I can usually identify blue jacks from the blue gene between 2-3 weeks. I feed baby brine shrimp twice a day, and do big water changes though. This plumps them up fast. If you dont grow them as fast you may not be able to identify them at 3 weeks yet.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Not really sure how these facts are relevant to the CONTINUED thread, but all input is always greatly appreciated! What do you think of my male anyway...honestly everyone? I love him and have raised him from about 3/4" so my opinions a bit skewed. Should be some great fry once I get a bgjd female in there with him

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
BGxBG should give you 25% Bluejacks and 75 % BlueGene. If you are feeding live baby brine shrimp everyday, you should be able to identify BG at 3 weeks.
You're wrong with your results
here are the real results with a key:

Genes:
eb = the electric-blue gene
JD = the wild-type gene
Fish:
JD/JD = WTJD - A regular/ordinary/wild-type JD
JD/eb = BGJD - A blue-gene JD (looks like a wild-type JD)
eb/eb = EBJD - An electric-blue JD

So, at the locus that controls electric-blue colouration:

• A wild-type JD has two copies of the wild-type gene and no blue genes.
  • A blue-gene JD has one copy of the wild-type gene and one copy of the blue gene (but looks exactly the same as the wild-type JD)

Mate: BGJD to BGJD
x | JD | eb |
----+-------+-------+
JD | JD/JD | JD/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | JD/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+

Result: 25% WTJDs 50% BGJDs (look like wild-type JDs) 25% EBJDs

and
Bktgifridays
You should know what you're talking about before giving other members advice.
Thank You

Jill ;)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks Jill...read more! Did I ask about the genetics of the Jack Dempsey, Jack Dempsey het. Blue??? NO...im well aware....this was simple given by another person who didn't read the thread.

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Thanks Jill...read more! Did I ask about the genetics of the Jack Dempsey, Jack Dempsey het. Blue??? NO...im well aware....this was simple given by another person who didn't read the thread.

You're welcome for the information...
as for my comment on you giving advice, well... that was meant in general & not to this thread.
I didn't think I'd have to point that out to you.
I've read many of your posts giving advice that's not proven & making jokes on members trying to spawn their JD's.
It's (NOT) nice ...
(PLEASE) make sure you know what you're talking about when giving advice in the future.

Thank You

Jill

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Wow Jill...not to start a cyber-argument, but any advice I have given was simply to try and help other members. I'm not sure what gave you the inclination that I "don't know what I'm talking about"? Yes...I am still learning as I think/hope we all still are! As for making jokes about other members getting they're JD's to spawn, not really sure where you got that from?? I greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge and ideas the members and mods on this forum have, and I don't believe I have made any jokes or said anything malicious at all to date...although this slightly awkward attack on me could bring out a possible one-liner or two! Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store