EBJD Breeding

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Also, I must add that If my current EBJD breeding dilemma was the reason for my " Lack of knowledge ". This is the story....I purchased a new bgjd female to introduce to my EBJD male. Given the fact that bgjd's and "regular" jd's have no distinct physical difference, I was unaware that the apparent bgjd female I purchased was actually a "regular" jd! Thus when spawned, I was stumped when I had no ebjd fry. Well then the "duhh" moment came when another member brought the obvious reason to my attention "maybe you don't actually have a bgjd female?" Now....does this prove my "lack of knowledge", or simply mean that I trusted that when I purchased a "bgjd" that it would actually be a bgjd?

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Bktgifridays

NVM - It's obvious that you don't understand or just don't want to deal with it. I'm not starting a cyber-argument with you.
I just wanted to let you know that (YES) in more than one occasion you have rubbed the nose of the OP with a post you've made. -Just watch what you say-
It's probably innocent, but it's still not NICE & (YES) I've seen/read some of your one liners. I'm glad you think you're FUNNY.

Now I'll help you a little with your project -

Mate: OutcrossEBJD to WTJD
x | JD | JD |
----+-------+-------+
eb | JD/eb | JD/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | JD/eb | JD/eb |
----+-------+-------+

Result: 100% BGJDs (look like wild-type JDs)

This is what you have. All the fry from your spawn carry the blue gene & look like regular wild type Jack Dempsey's.

Now Good Luck with the new BGJD female you have for your EBJD. Hopefully it's a true blue gene & you get the 25% EBJDs
you wanted.

Now with Blue Gene Jack Dempsey's there is a difference that you use to compare them to the Regular Wild Type Jack Dempsey's.
Once your Blue Genes reach around 3" you can see a purple skin tone to them, the wild type regulard JD's don't have this colour.

Hope that helps you distinguish a blue gene with a regular JD.

Thank You
Jill :)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thank you once again Jill...And once again, I'm well aware of the genetics and the different potential crosses. My current pairing is a gorgeous EBJD male x a pretty little wtjd female(which when purchased was supposed to be a bgjd) Once I realized my female was a wtjd, I knew what the offspring were. Now by adding a true bgjd female(ebjdxbgjd) I should get 50% ebjd fry CORRECT? And also, if your referring to the picture of the eggs I posted as "rubbing it in someones face" I was simply showing what the eggs look like. Hence "for educational purposes". Definitely didn't mean to hurt feelings. And could you possibly point out a previous one-liner of mine? If I need to watch what I say, I would appreciate an example of what to watch out for? I would also like to say that it is quite obvious that you are also very knowledgeable and insightful! I've heard what you say about the adult bgjd's having the purple tones, and I'm finally seeing this as some of my bgjd offspring finally reach maturity. Quite neat!

DaRej

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
www.ciklid.org
You're wrong with your results
here are the real results with a key:

Genes:
eb = the electric-blue gene
JD = the wild-type gene
Fish:
JD/JD = WTJD - A regular/ordinary/wild-type JD
JD/eb = BGJD - A blue-gene JD (looks like a wild-type JD)
eb/eb = EBJD - An electric-blue JD

So, at the locus that controls electric-blue colouration:

• A wild-type JD has two copies of the wild-type gene and no blue genes.
  • A blue-gene JD has one copy of the wild-type gene and one copy of the blue gene (but looks exactly the same as the wild-type JD)

Mate: BGJD to BGJD
x | JD | eb |
----+-------+-------+
JD | JD/JD | JD/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | JD/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+

Result: 25% WTJDs 50% BGJDs (look like wild-type JDs) 25% EBJDs

and
Bktgifridays
You should know what you're talking about before giving other members advice.
Thank You

Jill ;)

Great info. Wouldn't it be possible to cross EBJD x EBJD and thus get 100% EBJD offsprings or is the problem that they will not be healthy?

/David

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Oh! Was it this?? Really sorry...didn't mean to bruise your ego or whatever. I understand though. Was questioning myself before posting it but never thought you'd take offense
Giving up on your Dempsey's from the comment of one individual?? Lol jk

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Thank you once again Jill...And once again, I'm well aware of the genetics and the different potential crosses. My current pairing is a gorgeous EBJD male x a pretty little wtjd female(which when purchased was supposed to be a bgjd) Once I realized my female was a wtjd, I knew what the offspring were. Now by adding a true bgjd female(ebjdxbgjd) I should get 50% ebjd fry CORRECT? And also, if your referring to the picture of the eggs I posted as "rubbing it in someones face" I was simply showing what the eggs look like. Hence "for educational purposes". Definitely didn't mean to hurt feelings. And could you possibly point out a previous one-liner of mine? If I need to watch what I say, I would appreciate an example of what to watch out for? I would also like to say that it is quite obvious that you are also very knowledgeable and insightful! I've heard what you say about the adult bgjd's having the purple tones, and I'm finally seeing this as some of my bgjd offspring finally reach maturity. Quite neat!

Now that you know how to tell the difference between
BGJD & WTJD
Good luck with your project ;)

Mate: BGJD to EBJD

x | JD | eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | JD/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | JD/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+

Result:
50% BGJDs (look like wild-type JDs)
50% EBJDs

Great info. Wouldn't it be possible to cross EBJD x EBJD and thus get 100% EBJD offsprings or is the problem that they will not be healthy?

/David
Hello David,

Mate: EBJD to EBJD

eb | eb/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | eb/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | eb/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+

Result:

100% EBJDs But trying this has problems.
Most that have tried got eggs, but rarely hatched.
When hatched most don't survive past 2 weeks.

I'm currently running this project & will post my results as they come in.

Oh! Was it this?? Really sorry...didn't mean to bruise your ego or whatever. I understand though. Was questioning myself before posting it but never thought you'd take offense

That's not the post that I was talking about & you're not bruising my ego or whatever.:screwy:
But facts are facts (fish don't always remain paired) & more than one person pointed this out to the OP.
You're on the right track though. Read the whole thread that post came from.
NVM - I'll show you here

Gosh darn! Really sorry to do this to ya....but for educational purposes ....just walked into my living room and took a peak at my pair before bed an found they had just laid eggs!

Not NICE - and what educational purposes are you talking about here?:uhoh::uhoh:
I don't see anything educational here or any other posts by you.

Sorry - I hope I didn't bruise your ego or whatever. jk

Thank You
Jill

Also- I'm sorry to have highjacked your thread. I won't post here again.
I'll let the thread run it's original path - I didn't mean to take it way off topic.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thank you...and as I said, I was simply showing what fertilized eggs looked like. He seemed to be able to laugh so I don't understand why you've taken such offense jill?

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
And moving on...here's one of my new favorite bgjd females beginning to show some awesome color! Pic doesn't do it justice!

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for introducing a new female safely? My first attempt didn't go very well. Lots of dancing and lip locking between my ebjd male and the new bgjd female at first. But she got beaten up pretty bad overnight so I removed her for now. Should I setup a divider and keep them separated for awhile first? Never had this problem when switching up pairs before. Usually more hiding and avoiding each other.

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for introducing a new female safely? My first attempt didn't go very well. Lots of dancing and lip locking between my ebjd male and the new bgjd female at first. But she got beaten up pretty bad overnight so I removed her for now. Should I setup a divider and keep them separated for awhile first? Never had this problem when switching up pairs before. Usually more hiding and avoiding each other.

Bktgifridays

I'm sorry to hear about your blue gene female.
I just caught a glimpse @ the video you posted with the ebjd & new bgjd. What you had there was not mating, but aggression towards the new female. It looks like you made the mistake of keeping the regular Jack Dempsey female that (IS) already paired with the ebjd in the same tank.

I'm not sure how many tanks or setups you have for this project, but you need to separate the ebjd from the original wild type jack dempsey. In the video you posted of them you can clearly see the original female partner swimming by the two fighters. She was showing her spawning colours & the ebjd was protecting her. I'm surprised that you'd try and introduce another female without relocating the original first.

Now you've made things harder on yourself, but you can still pair the ebjd with the new bgjd.
First- Move the WTJD into another tank. Then move all the decor in the tank that the ebjd is in (Only if this is where you want the spawn).
Put a divider in the tank with the ebjd & only add the female to one side of the tank if she's not beat up too badly. If she's injured really bad, you should treat her in a med tank with melafix for a week.

Once she looks better then you can put her in the tank with the divider & let them get used to each other. Watch them for about a week & you'll see a change in the way they act. If you think the female is O.k. after a week in the tank with the divider, remove it & keep a very close eye on them. If the ebjd excepts her she wont get beat up too badly & her spawn colours will show.

Good Luck
Jill ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store