EBJD Breeding

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks again Jill ...and yes I have plenty of other tanks to separate the jd female. My bgjd female is recuperating now. Wasn't too bad, tail fin was just a bit tattered. I've only switched females with that pair once before when I assumed I was introducing my bgjd that turned out to be the reg. JD. That time it went fine. But i'll definitely remove the jd female and setup the divider on my next attempt!

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DaRej

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
www.ciklid.org
Hello David,

Mate: EBJD to EBJD

eb | eb/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | eb/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+
eb | eb/eb | eb/eb |
----+-------+-------+

Result:

100% EBJDs But trying this has problems.
Most that have tried got eggs, but rarely hatched.
When hatched most don't survive past 2 weeks.

I'm currently running this project & will post my results as they come in.
Do you know if it matters when breeding on BGJD x EBJD which sex has which gene setup?
Male BGJD
female EBJD
or vice versa.
Does it even matter?

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Do you know if it matters when breeding on BGJD x EBJD which sex has which gene setup?
Male BGJD
female EBJD
or vice versa.
Does it even matter?
Hello again David,
I'll answer this question for you, but PLEASE keep in mind that this is not my thread.

When pairing an EBJD with a BGJD it's best to have the male be the EBJD because the males are the most aggressive & EBJD's are less aggressive than the BGJD's or wild type jack dempsey by nature.
It's O.K. to mate a female EBJD with a male BGJD, but the EBJD should be larger than the BGJD so she can defend herself.

If you have any other questions Please Open a new thread or PM me.
I didn't mean to highjack Bktgifridays thread.

Thank You
Jill ;)

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Thanks again Jill ...and yes I have plenty of other tanks to separate the jd female. My bgjd female is recuperating now. Wasn't too bad, tail fin was just a bit tattered. I've only switched females with that pair once before when I assumed I was introducing my bgjd that turned out to be the reg. JD. That time it went fine. But i'll definitely remove the jd female and setup the divider on my next attempt!

Bktgifridays

I'm glad to hear that your BGJD isn't hurt too badly.
I'm also glad to hear you have other tanks to use for this project.

Now to tell you why the introduction went well the first time & not the second.
First time you introduced your EBJD male to a female was with a WTJD. The introduction went fine & they paired off & even spawned for you.
Second time you introduced your EBJD male to a BGJD female they fought & gave you the impression of a mating ritual. But that's not what it was. Your WTJD was in the same tank & the two (EBJD & WTJD) are still very much a pair. So the Male fought for territory & probably to show off for the WTJD. You need to remove the female WTJD & rearange the decor in the tank the EBJD is in. Keep the females away for about a week & place a divider in the tank with the EBJD when you introduce the female BGJD. Keep them separated for about a week and then remove the divider watching them closely to make sure he doesn't hurt the female too badly. You know when it gets out of hand, because you've already had to remove her once.

Good Luck with your project & I'm sorry for having ppl ask me questions in your thread.

Jill ;)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Jill, this is an open thread and your answers and comments are always welcome! And yes, definitely realize now that leaving the old pair together while introducing a new female was a BAD idea! At the time I thought that because the new female was larger and more brilliantly colored than the paired female the introduction wouldn't be rough. I also started to think that because the EBJD's seem to be generally less aggressive, that trait may be passed on making my bgjd female somewhat "weaker" and less aggressive . Which also could have made the situation worse!

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
So Jill...I know we kinda got off on the wrong foot, but I think you should start an "Ask Jill!" Thread...anywho...my first choice bgjd female may have gotten a bit more beat up than I originally thought and I'm considering my 2nd choice..."The red one"!!! As shown in pics earlier..but how much smaller of a female do you think I could try pairing with my 7" ebjd male? The jd female I had him paired with is around 4" and I thought that was a stretch so I don't know! What does everybody think? The reddish/purple female is about 3"

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
So Jill...I know we kinda got off on the wrong foot, but I think you should start an "Ask Jill!" Thread...anywho...my first choice bgjd female may have gotten a bit more beat up than I originally thought and I'm considering my 2nd choice..."The red one"!!! As shown in pics earlier..but how much smaller of a female do you think I could try pairing with my 7" ebjd male? The jd female I had him paired with is around 4" and I thought that was a stretch so I don't know! What does everybody think? The reddish/purple female is about 3"

Bktgifridays
Sorry to hear about you BGJD female, but I kinda thought she got beat up a little more than you had mentioned earlier. Specially when putting her in with a paired set of JD's (Lucky she's still alive).:help2:

Right now I wouldn't bother introducing any females to your EBJD. You should isolate him for a couple of weeks & move the decor in the tank.:hitting: At this time your female BGJD female should be treated properly in a medicated tank. If done properly you should see her looking really good by the end of 2 weeks.:thumbsup:

I know you're anxious to pair your EBJD with a BGJD, but there's no need to rush it.:duh: You wanted to know if it's O.k. to use your 3" BGJD to pair up with your 7" EBJD. (YES) you can try & pair them up, but I wouldn't do that right now.:idea: You need to isolate him for a couple of weeks, possibly 3 weeks to break the bond he had with the WTJD. After this time has passed you have the option to try & introduce (ONE) female BGJD to him.:cheers: Use a divider the first week & let them get used to each other. Then remove & keep an eye on them to make sure the female doesn't get hurt too badly or even killed.:OMG:

Good Luck

Jill ;)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks Jill! All good advice as usual. I removed the JD female already and my poor bgjd female is in the hospital tank being treated but I'm not sure if she's gonna make it. I feel terrible! Lesson learned though I guess. Now since I had stolen her from my bgjdxbgjd tank, last night I put a new female in with my bgjd male. This introduction went flawlessly! Weird, no other female in that tank! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store