EBJD - Yankeejack and Jexnell Collaboration

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Pretty impressive that you counted all those fry. I never have the patience. I just start scooping. I don’t even know how many blues or platinums I have in my grow out tanks at the moment.

There are actually more genotype combinations than you have listed. Not all of the golds will carry the blue gene - there would be some with a genotype of BBgg and not all of the blues carry the gold gene - their genotype would be bbGG. It gets kind of complicated when both parents each have one dominant and one recessive gene for each trait.

The numbers come out very close to what would be expected from the punnet square. Well done.

Reactions: YankeeJack

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Pretty impressive that you counted all those fry. I never have the patience. I just start scooping. I don’t even know how many blues or platinums I have in my grow out tanks at the moment.

There are actually more genotype combinations than you have listed. Not all of the golds will carry the blue gene - there would be some with a genotype of BBgg and not all of the blues carry the gold gene - their genotype would be bbGG. It gets kind of complicated when both parents each have one dominant and one recessive gene for each trait.

The numbers come out very close to what would be expected from the punnet square. Well done.
Thanks AK! Ya, it took me an hour to sort them, shoulders sore! I figured it’d be good to start collecting data. It’s a neat autosomal recessive inheritance pattern. I thought it was cool to see how the numbers play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKBlueJacks

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Ya! Isn’t that so interesting? What do you think?
I am not really sure what to think. There are times when we get what we expect from our spawns when they follow the genetic patterns established by good old Gregor Mendel. Then there are the instances that just make me scratch my head.

Examples:

How did I get a male from Jack and a gold female that doesn’t appear to have the gold gene? His mother was gold - typical genetics would tell us that all of her offspring would carry a gold gene because that is the only gene the mother has to pass on.

How did Jack all of the sudden produce gold offspring? Even when he spawned with a gold female, he didn’t produce any golds. That would indicate that he doesn’t have the gold gene. Now he spawns with a gold gene and some golds are produced. That would indicate Jack does carry the gold gene. ??? Are there some platinums in spawn #8 as well?

It seems that the gold, blue, and platinum Jack Dempseys typically follow Mendelian genetics. Then there are times when these anomalies pop up. It is very interesting.

Reactions: YankeeJack

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
View attachment 1352653 View attachment 1352654 Spawn #7 update:

Thus a brother and sister spawn :
BbGg x BbGg yielded:
437 Normal phenotype
142 Golds
141 Blues
55 Platinums.

If you do a Punnet square for spawn #7 BbGg x BbGg you can predict the following results from a spawn with 775 offspring.

435 Normal
145 Blue
145 Gold
48 Platinum

Your actual outcome was insanely close to the predicted outcome. This spawn pretty much followed Mendelian genetics dead on.

csriram45

Feeder Fish
Jan 17, 2019
hello all,

Nice to see the YJ project. Not sure if many remember me from the EBJD forum but I just got back to spend some time on the fishes and it was good to see YJ still going at it. I met him 10 years back when we were into EBJD breeding. Good to see the project continue to go. Will continue to follow this :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store