Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I made a parts run yesterday and the shop made me give them my name and contact number before being helped. I’m guessing so I can be called if someone turns up sick around the time I was here?
Hello; I have had the same thing happen to me. The policies are uneven. Only one place has asked for my name and phone number.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My wife has the covid cough, but that's normal for her. Too much time in the flower garden with mold spores IMO. Working in a greenhouse 40 years killed her brother from Valley Fever. I am afraid she will have the same. She has already lost two sisters and a brother in their 50's. She lost both parents in their 50's as well.

She went to the Dr yesterday for antibiotics and she got an inhaler.
No fever, so no covid test.

If it's valley fever, I think once the fevers start it's too late. Up to that is mild but chronic.
Because I smoked over 30 years, and I smoked a lot too, I did not expect I would possibly outlive my wife.

But she's the one on drugs and inhalers ;(

• Sad
Reactions: skjl47 and Jexnell

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry to hear that, Ulu Ulu

Theres also a possibility that there is no second wave. Theres a small chance that this follows the same pattern sars1 did and just runs its course. Im pretty sure allot of the 2nd wave models are using data from past influenza outbreaks. Even though the chances are slim its still a possibility
There's a possibility that I will win the lottery this weekend too. Just not very probable when one weighs all the facts. The curve of infections hasn't flattened because it's gone through society, or due to any form of herd immunity, it's flattened because as a society we've distanced ourselves, which as everyone knows is the key to keeping this particular virus from spreading. Covid-19 and sars while similar in some aspects, are in other ways not at all the same. The greatest difference is in the manner in which covid spreads, compared to sars. With covid, many people don't even know they are infected, and in many instances these are the same people congregating sans masks, or improper wearing of masks, shedding the virus with every breath, every word spoken, never mind a cough, or a sneeze.

The second wave is not only coming, it's already started.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thank you RD.

It's not serious yet. I think she will survive thru years of decreased lung function though.
She deals with something called Sjogren's. It's not kept her down much though, much to her benefit.

Reactions: RD.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have read and understand your reasoning. It is early yet to know about a second wave, but the results will be known soon. While I can see an increase of cases now that some of the lockdowns are being removed or ignored, I have some doubts about a second wave. Doubts but nothing solid that can be backed up, so speculation on my part.
I suppose the definition of a "second wave" can make a difference. I do think there will continue to be new cases. Could it be we are again saying similar things again. What parameters will it take to equal a second wave? My guess is a wave will need to be an infection rate equal to or very close to the initial first wave rates.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While I can see an increase of cases now that some of the lockdowns are being removed or ignored, I have some doubts about a second wave.
The following posted by pacu mom pacu mom seems like more than just, what's that term, an uptick of cases.

BINGO!!!! My little rural community has hit the jackpot!! A week ago we had a total of 4 cases of COVID-19, all recovered. Today we have 19 active cases with another 143 tests still pending.
I was reading this morning how one of our provinces here in the north country may have to reconsider their opening, due to their uptick of cases. "The five-day rolling average of new cases has been trending upward for the last 10 days, after a steady three-week decline. The two-week high comes as warmer weather arrives in Ontario and just days after the official start of the province's reopening, raising questions about how the government might reinstate lockdown measures if needed."

I obviously don't have any answers, but it doesn't appear that anyone else does either, even all of the experts in this field. My fear is that at least a few provinces here will end up closing again, due to the next increase of infections, no matter what one refers to it as. If it gets out of control, we could end up right back where we began. At least here in Canada.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
At least you have Booze and smokes in the states, in South Africa some politicians want the sales to be banned until level 1 (basically business as usual) due to the sharing of said items in poorer areas, cigarettes are often passed around. It's causing lots of tension here, one couple even died from homebrew alcohol poisoning.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I believe things have permanently changed for some of us. I don't foresee my mother ever attending a church service in person again, even when churches around here open up again. I don't believe she will ever again experience hugs from her church family members. There's a box of masks and hand sanitizer inside the front door of her house for any one entering. I don't see her ever going shopping again :( I took her to the hospital for lab work yesterday. Mask and gloves put on inside the car. When finished at the lab, gloves were removed and I gave her an antibacterial hand wipe to wipe her hands and the handles of her walker before getting in the car. Good screening by a person sitting just outside the hospital entrance. Temp, long questionnaire, names and addresses were taken before being issued a visitor pass. I was handed a mask because my N95 respirator mask had a valve.

Yes, I know that they don't recommend wearing gloves, but there is no soap and water when I'm shopping. I am very cognizant of what I touch, and would rather any "stuff" get on the gloves instead of my bare hands. I also carry anti-microbial wipes and use them to touch handles and wipe my gloves, etc.,...credit cards get sanitized after use before being put back in the wallet.

I read that they destroyed paper money in China. I asked my local bank if they sanitized the paper money. They don't. I am afraid for my mother handling money to pay the people who help her. Withdraw funds from the bank once a month. Hot water, soap, bleach. Rinse and dry then iron every bill. Tedious and time consuming, but I feel that it lowers risk to my mother.

This COVID-19 stuff could impact my fish tank. I am almost sufficiently recovered from my injuries and surgeries so that theoretically I could start working inside my fish tank again. I need N95 masks for all the sanding, grinding and dremeling. I still have some nitrile gloves for mixing epoxy putty and paint, but need to find another source for gloves. Ah! I can use the K95 valved masks from China (I didn't know they were coming from China) to grind with!

• Wow
Reactions: Ulu and Hendre

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The head of the Canadian Medical Association states that Canada is not prepared for a second wave.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sorry to hear that, Ulu Ulu

There's a possibility that I will win the lottery this weekend too. Just not very probable when one weighs all the facts. The curve of infections hasn't flattened because it's gone through society, or due to any form of herd immunity, it's flattened because as a society we've distanced ourselves, which as everyone knows is the key to keeping this particular virus from spreading. Covid-19 and sars while similar in some aspects, are in other ways not at all the same. The greatest difference is in the manner in which covid spreads, compared to sars. With covid, many people don't even know they are infected, and in many instances these are the same people congregating sans masks, or improper wearing of masks, shedding the virus with every breath, every word spoken, never mind a cough, or a sneeze.

As I said its a possibility.
SARS-CoV-2 is more closely related to sars 1 (Less deadly percentage wise, more communicable, and a much longer incubation period) than it is to influenza.

2nd wave ? The 1st one isnt over. Flattening the cure was only meant to delay the spread as to not overwhelm the healthcare systems. Its still raging in some countries.

Hello; I have read and understand your reasoning. It is early yet to know about a second wave, but the results will be known soon. While I can see an increase of cases now that some of the lockdowns are being removed or ignored, I have some doubts about a second wave. Doubts but nothing solid that can be backed up, so speculation on my part.
I suppose the definition of a "second wave" can make a difference. I do think there will continue to be new cases. Could it be we are again saying similar things again. What parameters will it take to equal a second wave? My guess is a wave will need to be an infection rate equal to or very close to the initial first wave rates.
Great point and exactly what many are wondering. See the models again are all based on influenza. Even this 2nd wave. It was always on the table. Allot of what i've read on 2nd waves are all based on influenza and it mutating into a more severe pathogen. This second wave is being associated with opening up our economies and easing restrictions. I think theres a big difference between the two. Its a novel virus, i think they are learning as they go.

Reactions: deeda
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store