Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

echidna rhodochilus white cheek moray

Discussion in 'General Brackish' started by Charney, May 4, 2018.

1. Charney

Charney The Fish Doctor
      Staff Member

Yesterday at 9:41 PM
      Are these a solitary species or can they be kept in groups? thanks

2. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Today at 9:33 AM

I had one yrs ago but there is a member who has a group of them.

john_lord_b3 and Charney like this.
    3. Charney

Charney The Fish Doctor
      Staff Member

Yesterday at 9:41 PM
      I have three and thinking about adding some more. What is the best decor for these guys?

tlindsey likes this.
    4. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.

I provided old limestone stacked. Some use PVC pipes.

Charney likes this.
    5. crenicichla444

crenicichla444 MFK Members

Friday at 12:18 AM
      Nice man I was gonna grab one of these from wes but grabbed a fimbriated moray instead. Was gonna do both but was worried the fimbriated would eat or bully these guys.

These guys do pretty well in groups from what I've seen. Post some pics man!

john_lord_b3 and tlindsey like this.
    6. john_lord_b3

john_lord_b3 MFK Members

Ben Haryo
      Yesterday at 7:35 AM
      Yea, guilty as charged ;)

I have a bunch of morays in a brackish aquarium and 3 of them are echidna rhodochiluses. IMG_20180420_000413.jpg IMG_20180309_184551.jpg They are courteous to each other and never causes trouble.
      IMG_20180425_111755.jpg

tlindsey likes this.
    7. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      john_lord_b3 likes this.
    8. crenicichla444

I haven't been active lately but when wes brought in these guys I decided to get back in the hobby. I've read a lot of your posts about different morays being kept in close to near fw. Some people have straight up told you that you're wrong on some threads (even though these fish are native to your country so how would they know better than you? lmao) but we both know better... ;)

tlindsey likes this.
    9. john_lord_b3

john_lord_b3 MFK Members

Ben Haryo
      Yesterday at 7:35 AM
      :) heh heh, thank you! Here in our country, we have a saying, "lain lubuk lain ikannya" (different waterhole, different fish). I had an online discussion with a fish expert from WWM long ago, and was informed that morays of same species often has differences depending on population, so, for example, in my country, baby E. Nebulosa does enter brackish rivers and estuaries (though I assume that they will migrate to the open sea as the grow older), while in populations of other countries, it is full marine and will die in less than full seawater.

As for E. Rhodochilus, my fish procurers never encountered them in the open sea (never far from beaches), it's always in the estuaries or even higher up in the river. Same with G. Polyuranodon, in fact they never encountered this fish in the beaches as well. That's why we're keeping them in brackish and fresh. But yes, if necessary they can be acclimatised to full SW. But it will defeat the purpose of owning a BW/FW moray :D

Other moray species also exhibited remarkable adaptative behavior, like this polkadot moray found to be alive and well in England despite being kept in full FW for a long time.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/yellow-spotted-moray-echidna-xanthospilos

So, indeed they have adaptation ability which are higher than we're giving credits for. But again it is all depending on the individual fish, so certainly I am not advising anybody to start plunging their morays to BW or FW anytime soon!

10. crenicichla444

Indeed that is a good practice which is what I do I never advise anyone to do such things...

I've done some research with and talked a lot with aquarium curators and a marine biologist professor in I think the southern California area (orange county I believe) a few years ago and there are a lot of marine fish you can buy at your local fish store that can live out their full lives in close to freshwater quite comfortably. Fimbriated morays are one example I've seen in the past on here. Someone said with full confidence that they couldn't even tolerate brackish when I've seen one over 3 feet long and over 7 pounds in 5 ppt which is VERY low salinity most fw aquarium fish can live in. I've personally grown cobia, S&S puffers, dog face puffers, emperor snappers, panther groupers and more in 2-5ppt. At the end of the day I'm not going to go out of my way to talk about it or share it because many people on this forum that do a quick general google search and act like they know everything when they just keep simple cichlids on a small scale and don't really know anything about modern aquaculture. Just thought I'd say that because there were a couple threads where you were completely right and a few people were being ignorant lol...