Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
I recently found a White Saum at my LFS and dedicated a 55g to her (I believe it's a female, only time will tell...)
Just a few days later, I saw that AquaScapeOnline had some wild caught Rivulatus' in stock and I placed an order for 5 in hopes to obtain a harem (yes, I know the 55 will eventually be outgrown - upgrading to a larger tank will not be an issue)
I was forced to wait over a week for ASO to ship, so I called to see what the deal was, and was given a discount on shipping and two more additional White Saums for free (unaware of wild caught, F1, etc... so I will be referring to them simply as CB)
What do you guys think? I know they're still young/small, but any idea on which may possibly be male?

IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4360.JPG IMG_4352.JPG IMG_4361.JPG IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4377.JPG IMG_4385.JPG IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4417.JPG IMG_4416.JPG IMG_4410.JPG IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
wow that is amazing can i ask some questions
1. are you going to be culling the males out so there is only one?
2. are your fish totally crazy like attaching decoration and looking for stuff to eat?
3.how big will your tank be after the 55g?
4. can you get more :$ and can they get to uk ok?
5. were did you learn about green terrors any special source or somthing i can use to study?
wow i am thinking of a 400l tank with a few terrrors in there.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
wow that is amazing can i ask some questions
1. how many you got there?
2. are your fish totally crazy like attaching decoration and looking for stuff to eat?
3.how big will your tank be after the 55g?
4. can you get more :$ and can they get to uk ok?
5. were did you learn about green terrors any special source or somthing i can use to study?
wow i am thinking of a 400l tank with a few terrrors in there.
1-I've got 8 fish in total: 5 wild caught Gold Saums, and 3 tank bred White Saums
2-for the most part they are rather friendly, they don't attack each other too much - although the largest will bully the smaller ones and sort of nudge them around, but hasn't nipped any fins from what I can see
3-I will either be upgrading (briefly) to a 75g, but end goal would be 125g-150g depending on whether I keep a harem or just a bonded pair
4-I personally can order more, I know they are available. I'm not sure if the supplier ships to the UK, the website is www.aquascapeonline.com
5-I have learned everything I know from countless hours of researching other threads and forums, and am a part of multiple "fish groups" on Facebook where I am constantly asking questions

Reactions: terrorG

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
1-I've got 8 fish in total: 5 wild caught Gold Saums, and 3 tank bred White Saums
2-for the most part they are rather friendly, they don't attack each other too much - although the largest will bully the smaller ones and sort of nudge them around, but hasn't nipped any fins from what I can see
3-I will either be upgrading (briefly) to a 75g, but end goal would be 125g-150g depending on whether I keep a harem or just a bonded pair
4-I personally can order more, I know they are available. I'm not sure if the supplier ships to the UK, the website is www.aquascapeonline.com
5-I have learned everything I know from countless hours of researching other threads and forums, and am a part of multiple "fish groups" on Facebook where I am constantly asking questions
thanks for all the info it would be hard to cull fish for me man buy like 5 and end up getting rid of 3 :( why cant the males be born with winkies makes life easier :/

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
TerrorG, I won't be culling them so to speak. After I obtain what I want from a breeding group, I usually sell the rest for next to nothing or just give them away to friends or someone I know will take good care of them. But I agree, I wish there was something more distinctive about the males at such a small size lol

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
TerrorG, I won't be culling them so to speak. After I obtain what I want from a breeding group, I usually sell the rest for next to nothing or just give them away to friends or someone I know will take good care of them. But I agree, I wish there was something more distinctive about the males at such a small size lol
i give mine back to the fish shop lol but they dont give you a refund, money or discount

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
None of them super stand out to me as a male, maybe one of the white saum. That would be funny if you had all females. Should be easy to tell in that large of a group though. If ones not standing out to you more corleful and dominant than the rest one should soon

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Those look great! All this Green Terror talk lately is really making me want some.
Thank you! I've kept Stalsbergi's before, but patiently waited to dive in to Rivs until I found at least one White Saum - and it paid off as I now have 3 :D

None of them super stand out to me as a male, maybe one of the white saum. That would be funny if you had all females. Should be easy to tell in that large of a group though. If ones not standing out to you more corleful and dominant than the rest one should soon
I was thinking the same thing, aztsm. Granted, they are only around 2"-3" in length, but I've seen other photos of Rivs at this size and characteristics were very distinct. My initial thought was that I had a tank full of females as well, but I find the chances of that are highly unlikely. Haven't noticed anything to lead me that any of them are pairing yet, but I've got plenty of time for them to grow and mature

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store