Eel For A 125-150 Gallon

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Hi, I recently made a thread about a 180 gallon aquarium, however due to some reasons that will not be possible. I would appreciate some different eels that get at least 18” but would also be able to live out their whole life in a 150 Gallon. (72x18x28) I was looking at a Leopard Eel and I’m wondering if they would be able to live out their life happily in that size tank. If you have any other options please tell them. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, I recently made a thread about a 180 gallon aquarium, however due to some reasons that will not be possible. I would appreciate some different eels that get at least 18” but would also be able to live out their whole life in a 150 Gallon. (72x18x28) I was looking at a Leopard Eel and I’m wondering if they would be able to live out their life happily in that size tank. If you have any other options please tell them. Thanks in advance.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/gymnothorax-polyuranodon-care.748240/
I personally have no experience with this species. Hopefully someone will chime in about aquarium size.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
G. polyuranodon requires brackish long-term (usually can tolerate fresh for 2+ before slowly exhibiting problems, apparently) or water with a high pH, at least according to a guy I spoke to at an expo some time ago. I've never personally kept them, but I would assume they would be, like most morays, somewhat aggressive and liable to munch on small, slow tankmates. Would possibly be alright in a 150 long-term. M. dayi gets rather large and heavy-bodied, much like M. erythrotaenia; I personally would not be comfortable keeping one in a 150 for its entire life, although a small specimen can very well live in a 150 for a couple of years. Many Macrognathus species are on the smaller end of the spectrum and would do well in a 150. Not too sure how big Mastacembelus liberiensis gets, but I had one for a couple years and it didn't grow larger than 50 or so centimeters. Incidentally, M. liberiensis happens to be the spiny eel in your profile picture, and that very image is only one of three I was able to find of M. liberiensis (or what I believe to be M. liberiensis, anyhow).

Reactions: tlindsey

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
G. polyuranodon requires brackish long-term (usually can tolerate fresh for 2+ before slowly exhibiting problems, apparently) or water with a high pH, at least according to a guy I spoke to at an expo some time ago. I've never personally kept them, but I would assume they would be, like most morays, somewhat aggressive and liable to munch on small, slow tankmates. Would possibly be alright in a 150 long-term. M. dayi gets rather large and heavy-bodied, much like M. erythrotaenia; I personally would not be comfortable keeping one in a 150 for its entire life, although a small specimen can very well live in a 150 for a couple of years. Many Macrognathus species are on the smaller end of the spectrum and would do well in a 150. Not too sure how big Mastacembelus liberiensis gets, but I had one for a couple years and it didn't grow larger than 50 or so centimeters. Incidentally, M. liberiensis happens to be the spiny eel in your profile picture, and that very image is only one of three I was able to find of M. liberiensis (or what I believe to be M. liberiensis, anyhow).
Thanks for the help, I thought M. Dayi only get to about 20” maximum? I like the m liberensis, but it says they usually top out at 35cm, and I was hoping for something that got to at least 18” or 45cm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store