EELS

Stewey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Hi there - I have a couple tanks and was wondering what is the best or most unique eel that I could keep in a 75 or 100 gallon tank? Also, does and eel have to have sand or is smaller gravel ok? Would they do ok with an Oscar?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to the answers

Stew

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
A peacock eel is the only common eel that you're gonna be able to put in a 75 or around there.
I wouldn't put a peacock eel with an oscar since the oscar will out grow it with ease then eat it or kill it.
Sand or fine gravel is fine for them. Also make sure that if you do get an eel or an eel like fish (bichir) make sure to cover EVERY hole. No hole is too small for them to get through. If there is a hole then a fish will find it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi there - I have a couple tanks and was wondering what is the best or most unique eel that I could keep in a 75 or 100 gallon tank? Also, does and eel have to have sand or is smaller gravel ok? Would they do ok with an Oscar?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to the answers

Stew

Spiny Eels are unique but the only one I can think of that would be compatible with a Oscar is a large Fire Eel.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fire eels can put on size pretty quick, so unless you were planning an upgrade i would probably skip them...

Also regarding the question, due to tank size and the oscar, you may find it hard to find a suitable spiny eel that would work without being eaten or outgrowing the tank...

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
There are a lot of options you could do in a 75 gallon if you wanted a peacock eel or one of the smaller bichir species but you'd have to plan around them and an oscar wouldn't do good with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store