Efficient pump recommendation?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
the gate is set no need to really adjust, sure evap will screw with sump water level but not enough noise to warrant adjusting anything
I would agree; any adjustments is me being anal...perhaps a snail or two or somthing slightly slowing down siphon, but it typically works itself out.

My sump level is essentially constant having the ATO as well.

Reactions: jaws7777

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Got my new tank mostly set up but running into a heat generation issue. Same as with my last setup, which was using the same pump, although that had an additional smaller pump and other heat sources so I assumed it would go down a bit.

Anyway, I'm currently running a mag drive 9.5 which is a bit too powerful, forcing me to use a valve (not sure what you'd call these again, a cutoff valve?) at like 50% to staunch the flow a bit. (see pic) I'm pretty sure this is making the pump generate extra heat as it struggles against the resistance, plus it is not a very efficient pump to begin with.

Money isn't the primary concern, although googling around the best looking option is $700 from Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon (http://royalexclusiv.com/Flow-Pumps...agon-3-Mini-Speedy-50-Watt-1-321-gph::56.html).

If there's something cheaper that would do the job well and not generate so much heat I'd love to know. The nice thing about the red dragon is that it's adjustable, so I can turn down the RPMs to where I want it and hopefully not have to use the valve. A bit confused about its power requirements (via US outlets) though.

Any suggestions welcome, please! Don't wanna have to keep the top of this thing open all the time for heat exchange!

View attachment 1262054

Also here's a quick pic of what I've got going on so far:

View attachment 1262055
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75ECjQUyazWNXViVFRWdUZBams

Here is a video of my Jebao DCT-6000 running on my corner-flo 75 gallon. I have to run it at its lowes setting because it's slightly too many GPH for the aquarium as it stands. You can't go wrong with these pumps. Low power consumption, I think 7 or 8 speed settings, a locking pump controller, they ramp up when you turn them on and they have a timed 10 minute feed mode where the pump shuts off for 10 minutes while you feed your critters to keep food from going down into your sump. You can't go wrong

Reactions: Mount_Prion

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I just wanna say I went with the Jebao pump recommended above and so far it is excellent.

It is completely silent (I used to put the old mag drive on a layer of filter padding to mute the vibration it made) and pumps out more than the throttled mag drive did at the lowest possible setting on the controller!

Additionally the feed button is super useful for feeding floating stuff to my turtle, as the way I've got this set up it does a lot of water surface rippling (which makes really nice ripples in the sunlight).

One last nice but not surprising detail is that when the power is cut to it, the controller remembers the setting it was at. Which would be an issue if it didn't cause if we had an outrage, it would suddenly be super powerful.

Anyway, so far very happy with the pump.

Reactions: Woefulrelic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store