Eheim Jäger 200W Heater turning Yellow

EBJDLuke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
I've had this heater running on my 40 breeder for a few months now and noticed it was developing this calcium like yellow layer on the outside of the glass heater. It feels like a thin rough layer but I don't know what is causing this and if it means my heater is going to fail on me. If any of you have had this happen to your heater or have a possible explanation as to what it could be I'm all ears!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I haven't see a yellowish deposit but if you have water high in calcium or magnesium it is common to have crusty buildup on the heater over time. I get this stuff and just unplug, let the heater cool, remove from the tank and use some white vinegar on a rag to loosen it and wipe it off.

Keeping the heater clean will allow it to work the way it should.

EBJDLuke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
I haven't see a yellowish deposit but if you have water high in calcium or magnesium it is common to have crusty buildup on the heater over time. I get this stuff and just unplug, let the heater cool, remove from the tank and use some white vinegar on a rag to loosen it and wipe it off.

Keeping the heater clean will allow it to work the way it should.
I do not have a water softener so Ido think it may be a build up of trace minerals or calcium so I think I may unplug and give it a good soak and scrub like you suggested. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store