Electric Blue Acara and Green Terror.

Neale Musgrove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
UK
Hi...
I need of a little advice please if anybody would be kind enough to help.
My Electric Blue Acara and Green Terror have mated for the second time since I've had them (3 months max). First time, I left the eggs in the tank 2 days later they were all gone, as in eaten, I have yoyo loaches and BNs X2. So I wasn't surprised as those guys are like Dyson vacuums. That was 1 month ago btw.
3 days ago I notice they had laid eggs once more, so this time I decided to move the piece of decor the eggs were attached to over to a prepared cycled mini tank. No fish, just a heater air stone and a sponge air driven filter.
Today 16/Jan, I've come home from work to find what is all I can describe as a carpet of wrigglers - hatched babies - awesome.
Now here's were I need the advice, what to do next? I've read so many mixed ideas and suggestions that I'm confused as to what I need to do or not do now!

Any advice would very much appreciated.

Thanks
Neale

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi...
I need of a little advice please if anybody would be kind enough to help.
My Electric Blue Acara and Green Terror have mated for the second time since I've had them (3 months max). First time, I left the eggs in the tank 2 days later they were all gone, as in eaten, I have yoyo loaches and BNs X2. So I wasn't surprised as those guys are like Dyson vacuums. That was 1 month ago btw.
3 days ago I notice they had laid eggs once more, so this time I decided to move the piece of decor the eggs were attached to over to a prepared cycled mini tank. No fish, just a heater air stone and a sponge air driven filter.
Today 16/Jan, I've come home from work to find what is all I can describe as a carpet of wrigglers - hatched babies - awesome.
Now here's were I need the advice, what to do next? I've read so many mixed ideas and suggestions that I'm confused as to what I need to do or not do now!

Any advice would very much appreciated.

Thanks
Neale

When they absorb their egg sac and become free swimming they will be hungry you could hatch live baby brine shrimp for them or crush flake or pellet food you feed to the adults. Don't over feed.

Neale Musgrove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
UK
Ok great...I'll check daily a few times to see when they are free swimming.
I was concerned with regards to the air driven sponge filter, and the air stone. They both give out a descent bubble count plus the filter has a good particulate attraction. Hoping they don't get pulled towards it or bounced to the top on the air.

Reactions: tlindsey

Neale Musgrove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
UK
:: UPDATE ::

So a swift update on the EBA x GT fry.
Thought I would make a video to document their progress. It's on YouTube, but I can't post the link here just yet due to post count.

Neale Musgrove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
UK
Update: Fry are still doing very well in the 20 gallon tank.
I feed crushed protein flake and they enjoy it.
There is now X2 sponge filters in the nursery with a 18" bubble bar. Same small 100w heater.
I still have 80% + of the original batch. So it must around 300 at this point.
Mom and Dad in the 750ltr have bred once again but I decided to see how well they did at parents.
It turns out that they are rubbish! At the moment anyway.
So now I have the baby fry, my LFS won't purchase or even have them for free as they use a regular supplier.
Not sure tbh at what age or size I could sell them to a experienced aquarist ...

TBC ...

NEALE

ItsFishMoney

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
New York
www.instagram.com
Interested in the progress of this post. I have just purchased a female green terror almost a week ago. She and my electric blue acara have been showing signs of possible mating. This means I will have to move them to a new tank as they are housed with many other cichlids at the moment. If the fry grow out nicely I’m willing to do it

Piscavores:)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2018
Sound like a beautiful fish, the eb colors on the body with the fins, mouth, and size of a GT

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store