Electric Blue Acara breeding questions

Sodakksam

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2020
Ive got a pair that has laid eggs probably 3 times in the last month. The first time the eggs hatched. The parents lost interest— no babies. The second time they had swimmers that they protected for about 4 days. Then they were gone. This last time I saw a few swimmers in a pit that they dug. I came home from work. The parents were swimming all over and protecting nothing. The tank mates are a rubber nose pLeco and a sailfin Molly to nibble at the algae. There is one other smaller eba that stays out of their way. I don’t need to be a big producer of the good looking fish, but I’d like to get a few if I could. Should I move the rock that they lay there eggs on And put in in their own tank by an air stone? I don’t want to agitate the parents so they won’t spawn again. Any tips would be appreciated. They are in a 29g tank. Thinking about moving them to a 40g Breeder.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ive got a pair that has laid eggs probably 3 times in the last month. The first time the eggs hatched. The parents lost interest— no babies. The second time they had swimmers that they protected for about 4 days. Then they were gone. This last time I saw a few swimmers in a pit that they dug. I came home from work. The parents were swimming all over and protecting nothing. The tank mates are a rubber nose pLeco and a sailfin Molly to nibble at the algae. There is one other smaller eba that stays out of their way. I don’t need to be a big producer of the good looking fish, but I’d like to get a few if I could. Should I move the rock that they lay there eggs on And put in in their own tank by an air stone? I don’t want to agitate the parents so they won’t spawn again. Any tips would be appreciated. They are in a 29g tank. Thinking about moving them to a 40g Breeder.
What type of filter do you have on the aquarium? You could remove a few fry with a hose? I suggest seeding a sponge filter for the fry growout aquarium or order a Marina Breeding box.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What type of filter do you have on the aquarium? You could remove a few fry with a hose? I suggest seeding a sponge filter for the fry growout aquarium or order a Marina Breeding box.
You could remove the rock with eggs attached to the growout aka hatchery but it may be more challenging. Make sure Air Stone is correctly placed near the eggs.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It takes most cichlids a few spawns to get it perfect. Pleco may be nipping some up while the parents don’t notice. Molly and other acara are likely being fought back.

Reactions: tlindsey

Sodakksam

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2020
They are at it again. Ive got swimmers. Parents still involved. Thinking about borrowing my wife’s turkey baster when she isn‘t looking. Ive got a 10g tank with a sponge filter that’s been running for months with shrimp and a couple Java ferns. Ive got a fry basket, or whatever it’s called, that I could put in the parent’s tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
They are at it again. Ive got swimmers. Parents still involved. Thinking about borrowing my wife’s turkey baster when she isn‘t looking. Ive got a 10g tank with a sponge filter that’s been running for months with shrimp and a couple Java ferns. Ive got a fry basket, or whatever it’s called, that I could put in the parent’s tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
I suggest siphon out a few.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store