Electric blue acara issues

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
Hey guys I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or if I'm posting in the right section ect so please be understanding. I have a 45 gallon tank with two paired off young electric blue acaras and 12 silver tip tetras as dithers. So I purchased as a pair and they were perfect until she laid eggs and would not let the father anywhere near the babies. The three days after becoming free swimming they all dissapeared. The pair is not fighting but wants nothing to do with eachother ? The pair also stopped eating when they laid eggs. My water tested perfect pretty much and the temp is around 80. I have plenty of driftwood and plants. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what happened or how I could get them to pair back up?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or if I'm posting in the right section ect so please be understanding. I have a 45 gallon tank with two paired off young electric blue acaras and 12 silver tip tetras as dithers. So I purchased as a pair and they were perfect until she laid eggs and would not let the father anywhere near the babies. The three days after becoming free swimming they all dissapeared. The pair is not fighting but wants nothing to do with eachother ? The pair also stopped eating when they laid eggs. My water tested perfect pretty much and the temp is around 80. I have plenty of driftwood and plants. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what happened or how I could get them to pair back up?

Welcome aboard :) Don't feel bad my female nearly killed the male after spawning, and when fry was free swimming. Had to nurse the male back to health after she beat the hell out of him. After he got healthy again reintroduced the female with the male and after a little bit of aggression from the female the male showed who was back in charge lol. Still waiting for them to spawn again.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also had female Kribensis do the same thing after eggs were laid but she killed not 1 but 2 males pure she devil.

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
Also had female Kribensis do the same thing after eggs were laid but she killed not 1 but 2 males pure she devil.
Thanks! You know that's the wierd part is that every time I tell someone the issue they are puzzled by the fact that they are still coexisting and not killing each other! It's just odd that they avoid each other and they used to follow me around the tank but they don't do that anymore either. I'm perplexed, but atleast they arnt killing eachother!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks! You know that's the wierd part is that every time I tell someone the issue they are puzzled by the fact that they are still coexisting and not killing each other! It's just odd that they avoid each other and they used to follow me around the tank but they don't do that anymore either. I'm perplexed, but atleast they arnt killing eachother!
Not killing always a good thing lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store