Electric Blue Acara x Green Terror = Blue Gene Blue/Green Terror?

benlivingston

Feeder Fish
Nov 15, 2015
Got a little electric blue acara about 3" now, believe it to be male. Waiting on special order from LFS to arrive with a green terror believed to be female about the same size. Looking to hybridize the two to get offspring with green terror traits that's may posses a 'blue gene'.

I don't have a lot of information on how this gene works (and have a general lack of knowledge in genetics); so does this sound plausible and could I cross two of the F1 generation to produce a fully electric blue offspring (and in what ratios)?

Thanks for any input!*

*Hybrid haters - I do not intend to distribute any of the fish created during this project. So let's just not go there.

blue acara.jpg

Deansy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Saint Cloud, MN 56301
Not Sure. Very interesting though...maybe you will get a shiny green color?!? Just kidding, but I mean you could end up with some pretty good looking fish if it works.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
It's plausible, but it depends if the same genes code for the same things in the green terrors. It is likely, but not known. And yes it would produce a hybrid that you could not call a blue acara or a green terror.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store