Electric Catfish Tankmates

ARKproject

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
Does anyone have experiance keeping Electric Catfish with other oddball species such as Bichirs, Eels, Pufferfish etc?
I have a small speciman that Ive kept with a group of Ctenopoma kingsleyae for 6 months with no issues but Im contenplating the idea of starting 100+ gallon with the Electric Catfish and another large oddball species.
Any experiences would be helpfull. If its not possible, ill be perfectly content with the catfish by himself.
Thanks

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I think RD. RD. quoted from somewhere that they shock larger fish to spit up their food, and smaller fish to eat them. They are territorial too, and will shock everything in the tank if they get pissed at you during WC. I would not trust one with anything.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Likely on tankmates are driftwood and plants.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I personally wouldn't do it but if I had to pick a tank mate it'd be something that stays at the top of the water column

Reactions: tlindsey

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
I'd expect e-cats should work with e-eels, but I've never heard of the combination. It would certainly make it hilarious for us to watch you clean the tank.

My local aquarium has some lemon tetras in a massive cylindrical tank with an electric eel. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

As stated above, synodontis are immune to the shocks

Reactions: J. H. and Dloks

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Nothing. I've had 2 e-cats in my lifetime. I had one housed with 2 cichlids. It's been so long (I was probably 13 at the time) that I can't remember which ones. However, I remember they were constantly in fear of their lives. They would literally huddle in the farthest top corner of the tank away from the cat. They didn't die but their existence wasn't pleasant. Worst of all, e-cats are nocturnal. When a lot of fish hunker down, the e-cats get really active.

I didn't know about the synos but you would have a relatively boring tank. E-cats are cool though. I've always debated getting another as a single member of a large aquarium.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Charney Charney 's got a 2-footer so his input would be quite fitting here.

I had mine from 3" to 8" with tank mates, a lot of tank mates, out of which the ecat really only zapped a 4-line Pim catfish for his zealous feeding antics. A hundred of others the ecat didn't pay attention to. Lost the cat on the move. So my firsthand experience is puny.

What I read is similar to what the guys are saying above. Exceptions have been reported with some synodontis tank mates but overall, my impression is it's a huge risk with larger ecats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store