Electric eel questions

Electriceels101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2022
I have several questions about electric eels
Do the males or females get bigger as I have read from different sources that the females do and others that the males do?
Are they Cannibals?
Does anyone have electrophorus voltai(strongest electric eel as a pet)
Do they get aggressive and territorial?
And is electrophorus electricus or electrophorus varii the weakest one

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do the males or females get bigger as I have read from different sources that the females do and others that the males do?
Are they Cannibals?
Welcome aboard

I never heard of the Electric Eel being cannibals and didn't know there were different species. Hopefully someone will chime in to answer your other questions
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...tric-eels-any-fun-to-keep.745008/post-8397239

Reactions: Deadeye

Electriceels101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2022
Are they Cannibals?
Welcome aboard

I never heard of the Electric Eel being cannibals and didn't know there were different species. Hopefully someone will chime in to answer your other questions
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...tric-eels-any-fun-to-keep.745008/post-8397239
Thanks
Also are they legal to own in New York

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
jjohnwm jjohnwm

Reactions: tlindsey

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
As far as the trade goes they all come in labeled as electrophorus electricus. I've never seen any list with the different species as that's a pretty recent distinction. I kept mine by itself but I've seen people keep multiple together. I have no idea how to sex them besides I would assume females get larger.

Electriceels101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2022
As far as the trade goes they all come in labeled as electrophorus electricus. I've never seen any list with the different species as that's a pretty recent distinction. I kept mine by itself but I've seen people keep multiple together. I have no idea how to sex them besides I would assume females get larger.
I always thought the females got bigger in fish in general but seeing something say otherwise really has me searching

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store