Electric vs Regular blue acara

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Are the EBAs smaller and nicer than regular ones similar to how jacks work, or are they basically the same?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since the Electric blue Acara is a "designer fish"(not a natural form), it "may" like most EBJDs have some the the wild type genes bred out of it, ie, like better immunity, aggression, normal body form. It appeared on the scene only about 10-12 years ago, and it does seem to have a more robust health disposition than say EBJDs, which are known to be generally weaker than the normal type.
As far as A pulcher goes, I have never considered them overly aggressive, and don't got large.
The appeal (or not) may come down to whether you think the designer fish concept, is for you, or not.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Are the EBAs smaller and nicer than regular ones similar to how jacks work, or are they basically the same?
I’ve haven’t kept regular blues, but I don’t know if EBAs truly get smaller, as my lfs had a solid 7-8 inch EBA that was around an inch thick.

Reactions: Deadeye and BIG-G

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
May not be good for my tank then. I was looking at it for a 36 gallon tank, but that seems too big. Are there any smaller colorful acaras that would fare better there?
Color wise I usually prefer wild type, but the acaras are an exception, that bright blue is amazing.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
May not be good for my tank then. I was looking at it for a 36 gallon tank, but that seems too big. Are there any smaller colorful acaras that would fare better there?
Color wise I usually prefer wild type, but the acaras are an exception, that bright blue is amazing.
36 bowfront? I think you would be fine with one or a pair of EBA. Expect around 6", 8" is an exceptionally sized EBA ime.

But to answer your question there's quite a few smaller, colorful acaras. Bujurquina, cleithracara, laetacara, and nannacara come to mind, I know there are more though.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do you think a solo could be kept with other fish in a tank that size?

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Do you think a solo could be kept with other fish in a tank that size?
Yeah, they are pretty peaceful, but territorial. Tetras, barbs, small catfish, and smaller cichlids would work. I had an adult EBA with an oto before.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store