Emergency Heating Help!

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
Hello; Even tho LED's give off less heat it is not no heat. You may be fine but maybe check fairly often to make sure the cover is not getting too hot.

my led lights are on 24/7, it does not heat the tank. i needed to warm up the tank to normal temp slowly before it dropped lower than 70. it is just for a night is all. i have fish that don't do well in the colder water, they need the higher temps so letting the tank sit with just an led over night is not going to keep it above 70. once it hits below that, some of the fish are at risk. they are my babies and i prefer to give them proper care and worry if things are not in their environment. i can't rely on an led light.

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
Get a styrofoam insulation panel, cut it to all sides of the tank and tape it to all sides and the bottom. It will help keep the temp stable.

In Milwaukee my basement would drop to 50'F in winter, these panels helped keep temps stable.

good idea! i will buy some when i get the heater in 3 weeks. that way if anything ever happens, i have it available as a just in case.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
in my country, we use ghost shrimp as feeders and my LFS will pack many packets of live ghost shrimp, about 20-30 in a bag, pump with oxygen and put in a big styrofoam box.

Then he will put pour some water into the box and add a 1.5 litre bottle filled with ice into the box.

i be surprised if the temperature is not lower than 68.. i ask them the reason for doing it.. they say to keep them alive for longer period, my guess is it is like hibernation.

Reactions: bottomdweller72

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
in my country, we use ghost shrimp as feeders and my LFS will pack many packets of live ghost shrimp, about 20-30 in a bag, pump with oxygen and put in a big styrofoam box.

Then he will put pour some water into the box and add a 1.5 litre bottle filled with ice into the box.

i be surprised if the temperature is not lower than 68.. i ask them the reason for doing it.. they say to keep them alive for longer period, my guess is it is like hibernation.
Thanks for sharing that information, that was very educational. Explains why they are all huddled in a corner lol

The hot water bottle and fleece is working, the tank temp has been slowly going back up, currently at 74 degrees f. I'll be happy if stays there the rest of the night. My rope still hasn't come out yet, but at least the temps are better.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
my led lights are on 24/7, it does not heat the tank. i needed to warm up the tank to normal temp slowly before it dropped lower than 70. it is just for a night is all. i have fish that don't do well in the colder water, they need the higher temps so letting the tank sit with just an led over night is not going to keep it above 70. once it hits below that, some of the fish are at risk. they are my babies and i prefer to give them proper care and worry if things are not in their environment. i can't rely on an led light.
Hello; I get why you wrapped the tank in a blanket. I was trying to point out a potential safety issue. That being even low heat appliances can build up enough heat to cause problems when covered that way. Odds are you will not have an issue but it might be worth checking just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store