EMERGENCY: High Ammonia

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
water provider uses chloramine as a disinfectant (chloramine is a combination of (normally) 4 parts chlorine, with 1 part ammonia, and often shows on tests as @ 0.25ppm ammonia reading.
Hello; I have read about this a few times over the years. Some forum members such as Duanes have professional experience and very good knowledge of chloramine. I hesitate to add much but will with the understanding this needs to be verified. I seem to recall something like this. The tap water chloramine that shows up on the test as ammonia can be bound up by a product such as SAFE or PRIME for a time. During that time the active beneficial bacteria (bb) can and do use this ammonia same as any other ammonia. I guess what this means is there is no reason to panic unless somehow the established bb have been killed off or reduced in sufficient numbers.
The ammonia reading may not have been a cause of the fish death.
consider, changing your water change schedule.
In a 2 point pH scale difference, the tank water is in reality is 200 times more acidic at 6 than tap 8.
If.....that is the case, 2 x 25% water changes per week might be less stressful for the fish, than just 1, 50% change.
Hello; This is also worth considering. I know many like and have success with large % WC. But if as I understand it only small WC have been the normal procedure then doing a sudden big WC can give a pH swing. Nothing wrong with big % WC if that has been the norm. Just build up to a big % over a few days.

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
I haven't rinsed it or anything like that. I pour in tap water with a bit of conditioner before to prime the filter as the manual says to fill with water and to turn it on after.
That could also be a problem. I never put fresh water (with prime) straight into the filter. I always use tank water. Then add the fresh with prime into the tank so it can be diluted in the tank water before hitting the bacteria. I’m not sure how fast prime or other similar additives work.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
That could also be a problem. I never put fresh water (with prime) straight into the filter. I always use tank water. Then add the fresh with prime into the tank so it can be diluted in the tank water before hitting the bacteria. I’m not sure how fast prime or other similar additives work.
I agree with this. I always use a siphon to put OLD tank water into the filter to prime it.

Another thought is that if your local water uses chloramine, I’m not sure how well API works for it. I seem to recall that it might need a higher dose to lock the chloramine. I also would recommend switching to Prime because I’m not sure that API can be used to lock up ammonia or nitrite like Prime can.

Reactions: imabot and jwitty

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Possibly under dosed the water used to fill the filter ?

What is ammonia at now

Reactions: jwitty

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Possibly under dosed the water used to fill the filter ?
What is ammonia at now
I filled it up to the first thread mark on the cap which is supposed to fill 5ish gallons so I think it might be something else.
Somewhere .00-.25 (closer to .00). No nitrites whatsoever. Followed S skjl47 's advice to rinse out vials with distilled water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store