emperor 400 media cartridge media?

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What media does everyone use in there emperor 400s? I'm thinkin of picking up some media for my three emp 400's media cartridges to increase the filtration properties as much as possible, I was also thinking of possibly filling them with pollyfill? Anyways whats everyone using and what are the better choices for this application? I was thinking bio-media of some kind would be best? But what fits good and works great? Any and all help much obliged!

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
awdawg;673433; said:
What media does everyone use in there emperor 400s? I'm thinkin of picking up some media for my three emp 400's media cartridges to increase the filtration properties as much as possible, I was also thinking of possibly filling them with pollyfill? Anyways whats everyone using and what are the better choices for this application? I was thinking bio-media of some kind would be best? But what fits good and works great? Any and all help much obliged!
do that......... but use the blue cartridges (trash the grey ones), after the carbon is used up....(a few days) make a slit in the top, empty the carbon and stuff with poly fill...........put in rear slop as a "polish" media;)

rhinod56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
Illinois
everyone has their personal preferance, and each will tell you why the other doesn't work, so I'd suggust trying and see if it works for you and your application. I personally use the Marineland Penguin filters various sizes but most use the "C" size cartridge, though to save money and get better results at the same time I use Drs Foster and smith BIO3 cartridges. I think this is the link for the version you would need http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1
it has worked well for me, and saved me a ton, and in addition I also do regular rinses when I do partial water changes and cleanings.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I've been using the drsfostersmith bio3 myself for a while, but i ordered the large pack and only got 2 "cages" :( so some of them just get the filter things without a cage till i order more... the lady on the phone told me they would give me enough for all my filters... apparanly she was confused, so yeah I guess I'm just looking for what to stuff my grey media trey with. Next time I go to drs foster smith I'll try that cell pore medium... does it replace the grey basket?

Scottfree

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
location, location, location
awdawg;673908; said:
I've been using the drsfostersmith bio3 myself for a while, but i ordered the large pack and only got 2 "cages" :( so some of them just get the filter things without a cage till i order more... the lady on the phone told me they would give me enough for all my filters... apparanly she was confused, so yeah I guess I'm just looking for what to stuff my grey media trey with. Next time I go to drs foster smith I'll try that cell pore medium... does it replace the grey basket?
Yes it's a molded cartridge, slides right in.....

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
I use these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13375&N=2004+113804

I removed the carbon from my regular emp carts and stuffed filterfloss like freeskierrocket recommended and I run those in the back with some course filter material I bought for my ponds a few years ago. in them instead of the carbon pads they come with.

I love those things. The only thing I ever do is rinse out the blue bads and the pond pads and restuff the carts with a little filterfloss every once in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store