End of an era.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It’s funny, I always used to think of a fish doubles in size it would double the bioload but I’ve since learned it’s much more.

I was honestly expecting to see you were switching to neons or something, I wouldn’t call this set up a tank for small fish by any stretch of the imagination. I do think the new decor makes it look much better though.

looking forward to seeing you try an amano style nano tank for your next project.
Somewhere some clever dude as probably come up with some type of algorithm for fish size versus bio load, similar to these fish size versus tank size calculations you see. I was indeed very surprised by my findings.

I'd never ever go as small as neons in my tanks, not currently anyway, maybe over the next few years my tastes will change again, who knows. The only "big" fish in there now are my five balas and my GG.

I must say the mix of sizes looks awesome. My GG will hover in mid/top water, my balas slowly patrolling the mid water and then my filaments and beardless barbs busily flitting between them, whilst my group of clown loach are goofing around on the bottom, or crazily glass surfing when they're hungry.

I've mentioned before that video footage is the way for me to go with this tank now to appreciate it at its best. I'm currently trying to sort out how to post vids. I have a you tube account so I'm half way there!

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I tried the multiple sizes approach in my tank, ended up with 2 very well fed blue acaras and a red tail shark that an LFS gave me for free because thEy accidentally sold the fish I had on hold with them!

they are all a nice size now and seem happy but you can obviously have more variety and more fish if you go small. If I am ever in a position where money and space isn’t an issue I would love a massive SA type tank with huge schools of hundreds of the same type of tetra and 50-+ crews of dories cruising the bottom.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It’s funny, I always used to think of a fish doubles in size it would double the bioload but I’ve since learned it’s much more.

I was honestly expecting to see you were switching to neons or something, I wouldn’t call this set up a tank for small fish by any stretch of the imagination. I do think the new decor makes it look much better though.

looking forward to seeing you try an amano style nano tank for your next project.
I think that the bioload would be roughly doubled when the weight doubles...but of course a 10-inch fish weighs many times more than a 5-incher so there is your dIscrepancy. They grow in every dimension, not merely in length.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store