Every Aquarists Worst Nightmare (Please Help!!)

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
Dear Dad,

you've killed my fish, please find attached the bill for replacement fish

Cheers

Son.

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
I think it's close to 2nd worst .. the worst... walking in a puddle of water due to a leak or broken bit of glass.

jkruger83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2006
Ambler, PA
That stuff looks like uneaten food or detritus. When I first got into discus and was a total newb (not saying you are) I overfed because I was trying to get them to eat. I started getting weird hairy stuff like that growing on plants and in the substrate. But I dont see how that could kill a tank overnight. I accidentally dropped some chemicals from a Co2 reactor in my tank and everything was dead the next day. 6 discus lost there lives due to my error. :*( But this looks like something different. Dont know what to say except sorry for your misfortune!

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
moxxommox;819051; said:
I think it's close to 2nd worst .. the worst... walking in a puddle of water due to a leak or broken bit of glass.
i know that feeling:jaw: :cry:

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
johnptc;821585; said:
WHY WOULD DRYWALL / SHEETROCK BE TOXIC ??
thats what i was told. i kinda believe it because over exsposer can lead to respiratory issues in humans, like enfazima. cant say that ive ever crushed a piece of it up and put it in my tank to see what it would do, but some work was done at my app. and that was a big concern of mine so the guy at the lfs said it would do some damage. but like i said no clue, just word of mouth!!

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
not to mentkion it had a concentration of soap in it that can kill any fish, they use the soat to make bubbles in the drywall to make it lighter... that and the fast its made with li and chalk that can shred your lungs, but if you had water damade the moild can get into the tank and kill everything, I'd treat the tank, the empty tank with pimafix for a week do a 50 % and slwly add fish... Maybe some neons first, since neons are fragle and die quickly if something is wrong you will know right away... curel? maybe but effective. Barring that you might be looking at a compleat taire down boiling the gravel and cleaning the tank...

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
portabuddy;821760; said:
not to mentkion it had a concentration of soap in it that can kill any fish, they use the soat to make bubbles in the drywall to make it lighter... that and the fast its made with li and chalk that can shred your lungs, but if you had water damade the moild can get into the tank and kill everything, I'd treat the tank, the empty tank with pimafix for a week do a 50 % and slwly add fish... Maybe some neons first, since neons are fragle and die quickly if something is wrong you will know right away... curel? maybe but effective. Barring that you might be looking at a compleat taire down boiling the gravel and cleaning the tank...
thanks for the back up lol!!!

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
BIGgourami;818162; said:
it definately LOOKS moldiferous. some of the spots are "reaching out" to other ones. did you tear up any drywall or redo any water damage recently? mess around with an attic fan? something?
Good call BIGgourami...looks like you may have found the source.

I'm sorry to hear what happened. That's never an easy thing to deal with.

thing124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
it wasnt uneaten food, for sure. it had to have been the drywall, my waterchange pail was 1 foot away from the cutting, and my tank 3 feet from the cut site. the tank's empty now im just going to wait for the wholesaler to get the discus i had so i can restock them but like portabuddy said im going to toss in some neons they cost me like .30c each so whatever

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store