Excited about my first hatching of trout eggs!

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
BTW for those of you that indicated the brook trout was fat: Yes it was but male brook trout get a very high back on them during breeding season. Here is a wild one from Patagonia that obviously was on a natural diet. Lucastrine brook trout tend to be heavier than stream and river fish too.

Reactions: Gates72ss

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
And in case you didn't know the yellow perch was full of eggs not fat. She was 16 1/4 inches on a board and weighed 2.81 lbs. She probably would have gone 3 lbs if I would have caught here a month or two later. Up to 30 percent of their body weight can be eggs.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
I'm seeing alevins from the 3000 brook, brown, and tiger trout eggs I received last Thursday. Have been picking dead eggs and eggs shells. I was warned I would see a significant amount of tiger trout morts. Not seeing a lot yet.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I'm seeing alevins from the 3000 brook, brown, and tiger trout eggs I received last Thursday. Have been picking dead eggs and eggs shells. I was warned I would see a significant amount of tiger trout morts. Not seeing a lot yet.
whats the point of buying a mounted fish you didn't catch? Online taxidermy site? Why sell fish that are already dead and stuffed?

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
The fish aren't bought mounted. They are purchased from me whole frozen for the taxidermist to mount for his or her showroom, state, national, or world competition, or to make a replica. I have also sold some fish to taxidermy schools. The competitions based on reproducing fish accurately both anatomically and the original colors (usually done with an airbrush) is a really big deal. Also a very good way to improve skills due to a critique by a judge that is an accomplished and award winning taxidermist.

I have had people fish my ponds and have me mount the fish for them but not many.

The replica market it there because many anglers refuse to kill a fish, and prefer to release it. A replica is produced that was molded off a fish that as of a similar size. The blank is painted to look like the real thing.

The following photo is a replica largemouth bass done by a friend and colleague in the trade. I did not supply the fish for the mold, but I do supply other species. As you can see the quality can be quite good done by a skilled artist.

Richard Christoforo Bass_zpsiclr8cwp.jpg

Last edited:

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Alevin brook, brown, and tiger trout in floating hatching basket. Basket was a laundry basket that had pieces cut out and nylon screen siliconed in. I have ordered a larger mesh screen for after first feeding as I have no doubt the smaller mesh will clog. The problem is the tank is too deep for the first feeding trout.

I do have some morts daily but was told to expect that as the tiger trout will not have as good survivibility as the brooks and browns.

IMG_1591.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store