Exodon (Bucktooth Tetra)

shivam

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2015
USA
tinyurl.com
Im starting a 55gal up and I wanted to do something different instead of a "single fish" tank. I want a school but of course it has to be a badass school of fish. I was thinking of doing a school of Exodon. Is there anything I should watch out for and also any opinions on how to keep them. Please post pics if you are a owner of them or just post pics of your tank (doesn't have to be related).

Thanks.

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
Exodons are schooling fish. For a 55gal 5-10 would be no problem. They stay relatively small and are pretty active. Feed them blood worms, beef heart...etc. despite the nickname, they actually do not have teeth. I have kept a couple before and they will take down rosys if it can fit in their mouth. Just make sure it is a exodon only tank because they are notorious fin and scale nippers and they will go after other fish to eat their scales

Reactions: shivam

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin

Here are my exodons. Had 18 but 2 died due to aggression. They're in a 135 gallon with 4 Raphael catfish and 2 Pimelodus blochii's. They're better off in a species only tank as stated above they will eat scales of other fish. Cool fish to have and super active.

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
If you plan to get a catfish gef something like a Raphael or dark corys, they like brightly colored fish so a darker colored catfish for scraps wouldn't be bad.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
They are scale eaters ....and in a 55 I wouldn't keep any tankmates with them unless you have a lot of caves for a pleco or something of that sort....they say not to keep less then 12 but personally I would keep at least 20 in that 55 gallon or they will pick at each other until you are left with 1

Any other fish with scales and they will definitely pick at it

I've kept exodons a few different times in the past

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store