Experts help Ray ID please

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
well this kind of ray used to be very easy to find infact it was one of the first rays i had 25 years ago it was shipped as a retic and the others all had diffrent paturns

the tail will be long like a normal retic just slight different paturn

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
S1054343.JPGS1054344.JPG

These 3 rays in the pics are the same species to me, the larger one on its own I imported via Colombia under the name of Flower ray, I expected Schoederi but got this species instead. There are a few of these about now and the patterns do vary slightly but the base colour is very variable, I believe its a Castexi\Falkneri species but from what I know it doesn't grow nearly as big as other members within this group.

100% not retic!

S1054343.JPG

S1054344.JPG

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I would agree that it is in the castexi/faulneri group. Not a retic as those don't have banding on the tail and the keel on the sides of the tail is cream colored. You have a nice looking ray.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I would agree that it is in the castexi/faulneri group. Not a retic as those don't have banding on the tail and the keel on the sides of the tail is cream colored. You have a nice looking ray.
I agree. Also looks like a row or two of spines and retics have little to no spines

Deff a castexi tail.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Like I said this was one of the first rays I had and it didn't get very big

Which with the look of the tail and not getting big didn't make me ? The retic label

I would just enjoy it as a retic if it gets massive then you know the retic label is wrong

But this isn't a rarity I see them come in all the time for as little as £28
With a lighter or darker base colour and the markings range from light brown to golden

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store