Experts help Ray ID please

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Another very good point I was also going to make Trev, at this small size the spines on a retic are invisible, they do however appear albeit very small once adult.
Looks like you are having the double post issue to lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
It don't matter anyways what species it is. How many of you have actually been able to keep teacups alive long.
It's actually an interesting subject in its own ,

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
It don't matter anyways what species it is. How many of you have actually been able to keep teacups alive long.

Good point Matt.
This species (reticulata) are very fussy feeders on import, I have literally stopped selling them. From my experience if you import say 8 fish there is a strong possibility that only 3 of those will make it to adult, the ones that do prosper become hardy captives but sadly too many perish in the first few weeks.
I try and steer people clear of them as their first experience of rays needs to be a positive one not one of despair.

Regarding the spine issue on Reticulata they do actually stand out for "not" having any sign of them at a very small teacup size, the tail from top to bottom has an extremely smooth appearance.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England

Good point Matt.
This species (reticulata) are very fussy feeders on import, I have literally stopped selling them. From my experience if you import say 8 fish there is a strong possibility that only 3 of those will make it to adult, the ones that do prosper become hardy captives but sadly too many perish in the first few weeks.
I try and steer people clear of them as their first experience of rays needs to be a positive one not one of despair.

Regarding the spine issue on Reticulata they do actually stand out for "not" having any sign of them at a very small teacup size, the tail from top to bottom has an extremely smooth appearance.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
ya the retics are often shipped too small. the survival rate looks to be about 50%. my last batch of teacups were on the small side and all of the smallest ones perished within 3 weeks leaving only the larger ones. if you order retics and you are good at landing and food transitioning your ok when they're in the 4''+ range. sadly due to price retics are often the first time ray owners beginner ray and they don't make it thus in turn discouraging them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store