Extra Aggressive, or Normal?

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Yes. Both my females go pale the day they lay eggs. Patch normally is a bright pink color. Sometimes she looks flamingo pink, sometimes a salmon pink. It usually takes between 3-6 days for her color to come back. Right now she's like (milk?) pink, very light color.

Kong just finished eggs last week. She's still sporting her 'frosty orange' look with a midas patch on her face.
When did your Blood Parrots start laying eggs? Around how long after you started housing them?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sometimes my Blood Parrots get that frosty color for reasons unknown to me, the regular colors usually come back in around a week. My Blood Parrot isn't mature enough to make eggs i'm awaiting that experience.
My experience has been color changes happen when either:

Environment changes (good or bad)
Hormones
Stress
There is a low ph crash (they get pale suddenly)
And sometimes just because.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
When did your Blood Parrots start laying eggs? Around how long after you started housing them?
Funny you ask. I've had my parrots for 1 1/2 years. Patch laid eggs two weeks after I got them. Kong was a male until around May this year and turned female (I have a thread on it). Boss and Tango are males.

Patch lays huge amounts of eggs, she more 'square hip'.
Kong lays relatively small amounts of eggs, she' s 'top heavy' and triangular with 'narrow hip'.

One time Patch had so many eggs they were falling out as she swam. She's tossing out a batch as I'm typing this.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Funny you ask. I've had my parrots for 1 1/2 years. Patch laid eggs two weeks after I got them. Kong was a male until around May this year and turned female (I have a thread on it). Boss and Tango are males.

Patch lays huge amounts of eggs, she more 'square hip'.
Kong lays relatively small amounts of eggs, she' s 'top heavy' and triangular with 'narrow hip'.

One time Patch had so many eggs they were falling out as she swam.
Wow! I've had my Blood Parrots for almost a year now and got no eggs. I hope my Blood Parrot don't lay as many eggs as Patch still, lol! Lot of eggs to clean up.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
She drives me crazy with all them eggs. But she's gotten better at cleaning them up herself. One time I had to break the tank down, she scattered eggs on every surface, even the glass walls! It was crazy.

Neither of them will eat while laying, up to 3-4 days. Then they work on the eggs and get the protein back.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
She drives me crazy with all them eggs. But she's gotten better at cleaning them up herself. One time I had to break the tank down, she scattered eggs on every surface, even the glass walls! It was crazy.

Neither of them will eat while laying, up to 3-4 days. Then they work on the eggs and get the protein back.
Lol! My time is coming for a experience like that but hopefully not as chaotic. Thanks for the explanation of the color changes, and wishing you the best of luck with Patch and her egg situation!

Reactions: FINWIN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store