Extremely Timid Flowerhorn

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
ARE. Dried insects are not very good on there digestion system and should be soaked before feeding and only fed 2-3 times a week. Bloodworms have very low nutritional value and also should only be fed a handful of times a week but I wouldn’t feed them at all. Peas are not good to feed regularly. It can be used to quickly clear the digestion system in a case of bloat but is not good for them. They aren’t able to digest non-aquatic plant matter well. In short it’s best for your flowerhorn that pellets make up at least 90% but I think better yet, 100% of its diet.
As mentioned, I only feed the mealworms about once a week.

I hear people say that bloodworms have a "low nutritional value", but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone actually provide evidence that they don't (or do, to be fair). We know that they're a good source of protein, but likely don't provide many other vitamins or minerals - but that doesn't make them a bad food. A well-rounded diet will provide fish with whatever they need. Feeding nothing but bloodworms, or any one food, will likely leave a fish lacking some vital nutrients - but that's not what I'm advocating for.

I'd only been feeding the peas the past week or so to try and clear him out when I thought he had a blockage, but all my fish get some boiled vegetable matter every now and then (more often, in tanks with herbivores), and I've never had any issues that I can connect to boiled vegetables. Again, I'd like to see some evidence that terrestrial plant matter isn't good for them - when the fish is provided with a well-rounded diet, I.E. not only or mainly terrestrial plant matter. Judging by that statement alone, all of my fish (brackish, freshwater, and marine) should be having digestive issues, since they all get some boiled veggies every now and then. Yet this was the first time I've seen what I thought was bloat in one of my fish in... 3 years? Maybe longer.

Quite an interesting take you have on feeding and nutrition - the majority of enthusiast articles and journals seem to suggest that a varied diet is much better than feeding one food, even when it's a prepared pellet/flake designed to provide all the nutrition a fish needs. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and then a couple different prepared foods has always been my philosophy, and has been what I've seen suggested online and at my local stores and club time and time again.

For now, I'll be sticking to the well-rounded diet I've been providing. 2-3 pellets, twice a day, with a varied frozen item added in during the evening.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia

I hear people say that bloodworms have a "low nutritional value", but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone actually provide evidence that they don't (or do, to be fair). We know that they're a good source of protein, but likely don't provide many other vitamins or minerals - but that doesn't make them a bad food. A well-rounded diet will provide fish with whatever they need. Feeding nothing but bloodworms, or any one food, will likely leave a fish lacking some vital nutrients - but that's not what I'm advocating for.

I'd only been feeding the peas the past week or so to try and clear him out when I thought he had a blockage, but all my fish get some boiled vegetable matter every now and then (more often, in tanks with herbivores), and I've never had any issues that I can connect to boiled vegetables. Again, I'd like to see some evidence that terrestrial plant matter isn't good for them - when the fish is provided with a well-rounded diet, I.E. not only or mainly terrestrial plant matter. Judging by that statement alone, all of my fish (brackish, freshwater, and marine) should be having digestive issues, since they all get some boiled veggies every now and then. Yet this was the first time I've seen what I thought was bloat in one of my fish in... 3 years? Maybe longer.

Quite an interesting take you have on feeding and nutrition - the majority of enthusiast articles and journals seem to suggest that a varied diet is much better than feeding one food, even when it's a prepared pellet/flake designed to provide all the nutrition a fish needs. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and then a couple different prepared foods has always been my philosophy, and has been what I've seen suggested online and at my local stores and club time and time again.

For now, I'll be sticking to the well-rounded diet I've been providing. 2-3 pellets, twice a day, with a varied frozen item added in during the evening.
RD. RD.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia

Hey by all means keep doing whatever works for you. What I said was just my formed opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store