*Fact Sheet* Fahaka Puffer (Tetraodon lineatus)

defool89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I believe 1 inch a month for the first year is pretty normal.
+1 but within that year you may see a month he grows over 2". It varies on diet and living space umong other factors. Feed crunchy meaty foods and house in a tank atleast 120g with 24" turning room for best results in growth from the very start to prevent stunting growth.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Yes, you are right in saying that is their common name in China, but also Hong Kong ;)

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
I have always wanted a puffer... I just got a great deal on a 150 gallon tank... It will be six months though before I can have the tank cycled and matured...

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Thinking about getting one for my 180 when I move the Fronts to the 300. Has anyone tried breeding them and will they tolerate each other.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Thinking about getting one for my 180 when I move the Fronts to the 300. Has anyone tried breeding them and will they tolerate each other.
I read an article about a guy who tried breeding through egg crate. Both died when the egg crate was knocked down and they killed each other but there was indication they spawned. I don't recall where I read it.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I purchased 2 small fahaka puffers over a month ago, I plan to keep one and rehome the other once I get them closer to a foot in length, I already have a 120 set aside for the adult I keep but im still needing to get a sump setup and cycled before I can move the puffers over. I'm currently housing them in a smaller divided tank (55 gallon) that I preform water changes on twice a week "as I would do with any grow out" and I'm wondering why the adult tank size matters for puffers while it doesn't for other grow outs I've raised in the past are they really stunted that easily? My puffers currently have something like 10 times their length and 5 times their size body length in depth also and that's on each of the tanks divider? That's plenty of swimming room even with the decorations I keep towards the bottom of the tank. I just want to know now If what I'm doing is hurting this fish or if what I'm doing in fine? Does the threads author mean it's bad for the fish with little to no water changes or what because I'm just wondering how over 25 gallons of fresh/clean water for each or my 2 inch fish can possibly be bad for or stunting them.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
So I was just given a baby Fahaka that was getting its tail kicked in by some PBass at a store. About 4” and so far just seems shy. Currently living in the sump of my 135 and going to town on the population of ghost shrimp and various snails. I probably had around 1000 ghost shrimp and maybe the same or more of MTS, mystery snails and pond snails- key word being HAD lol. Any advice or tips anybody has??

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So I was just given a baby Fahaka that was getting its tail kicked in by some PBass at a store. About 4” and so far just seems shy. Currently living in the sump of my 135 and going to town on the population of ghost shrimp and various snails. I probably had around 1000 ghost shrimp and maybe the same or more of MTS, mystery snails and pond snails- key word being HAD lol. Any advice or tips anybody has??
What advice are you after???

Only thing i can say atm is be-careful of MTS as a food source for puffers, since they have been known to chip puffers teeth from being quite hard...

Otherwise feel free to ask any questions you might have???

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
What advice are you after???

Only thing i can say atm is be-careful of MTS as a food source for puffers, since they have been known to chip puffers teeth from being quite hard...

Otherwise feel free to ask any questions you might have???
Good to know about the MTS. Really not sure as far as advice goes. There’s several mollies and a population of endlers in the sump as well that are breeding as feeders for the other fish. Pretty sure he’s already taken out quite a few of them. How quick is their metabolism? Seems like a bottomless pit so far

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Good to know about the MTS. Really not sure as far as advice goes. There’s several mollies and a population of endlers in the sump as well that are breeding as feeders for the other fish. Pretty sure he’s already taken out quite a few of them. How quick is their metabolism? Seems like a bottomless pit so far
They can have a pretty large appetites thats for sure, but at the same time you also have to rule out they have no IP’s either...

So if after eating a large meal you notice your puffers stomach goes from quite bulgy to sunken in within less than day or you see the tell tale signs of stringy poo then it maybe time to de-worm your puffer...

Reactions: Experiment397
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store